Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pain + Paranoia

Red face Pain + Paranoia

Hi ladies. I've been lurking for awhile...I love the signatures!

Here is a bit of an intro before I launch into my problem--

Married mommy of two, Luke-3, Penelope-8 weeks old. I breastfed Luke for one year and hope to do the same with Pen, if not longer. First baby was a champ after a week of slow starting. Penelope *was*, or so I thought. Yes, she is gaining well and is thriving...but...gosh...I'm in some pain. I think she/we have thrush. White tongue, pink nipples, some shooting pain and itchiness, generally. I went to Whole foods and got some acidophilus (sp.?) and have been taking that and giving some to her daily. I assumed that was it, but, here are a couple of other issues at hand:

-really antsy when nursing (I am)...it almost tickles too much...its somewhat itchy to feel her nurse, particularly on the right side. I want to say it's her tugging at it toward the end of the day when she marathon-nurses, but, I don't know. I have pretty dry skin and some stretch marks there, so, that could be it.

-two tiny red dots on the same breast. Not sure if they are little cuts from her nails (has that happened to anyone here?)

-generally pretty sore breasts...and I don't remember that being the case with my son.

Last night scared me a bit...I think I was laying on my right one and I woke up and it was throbbing so badly I wanted to cry. I relieved the pressure and it stopped. But, both are just SORE.

Confession, though...my husband supplements with a bottle of formula in the middle of the night and we do not co-sleep. I also suffer from some postpartum health anxiety (as in, everything is cancer ) so this is worrying me. I do get engorged at night...

What do you think? I've pretty much just told you my life story in my first post. I really don't want to stress about this but need some "other mommy support". Any advice?

Default Re: Pain + Paranoia

slow, down big breath!

HAve you looked up your local leader?
    she can help over the phone beter then we can online...
    look in the gray bar on the top where is says find local support.
    and then us and then pick your state.

thursh can cause very pain full nursing!
    heres some info on that...
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/index.html

are you pumping any when the baby is getting the bottle?

ok, so if it's thrush, there will be spots on the cheeks also, not just the tounge(sp). I had to use the nystatin to get rid of ours, on my nipples and in her mouth, for a few days, and took the stuff your taking and the AZO yeast tabs and got rid of it... kept taking them for a month, and now have been 2 months free of yeast! YEA! I had the shooting pain and itching also...
    I think your engorged at night from not feeding, and you may end up with mastitis or a plugged duck, or low supply... could you try getting up 1x per night...???
    Keep up the great work!!!
    PS... MY dh supplimented dd our first 6 weeks for the first at night feeding... it saved me from... well... CRAZYNESS!
    Oh, and I read you can actually have "PPD" that is a copper overload from pregnancy... they said to take zinc to counter act it... results can take up to a month, but I'm sure that's what my problem was after my twins, b/c as soon as I got pregnant agian I was fine!
    Last edited by write2char; October 26th, 2007 at 11:47 AM.

Could the pain in the night have been engorgment after all the marathon nursing and then the bottle feeding?

My son did cut me with his fingernail more than once!! I saw a drop of blood and it freaked me out. Then I remembered that he had been playing "Pinch the nipple"

Do you have access to a local La Leche League leader? Perhaps your daughter's latch could be improved to help with the pain.

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

i too still get horribly engorged at night , but not from supplimenting but because he is sleeping more at night. try to pump at night so you are not soo painful and uncomfortable in the am. hang in there . there is not much these mamas haven't experienced or know about. they are VERY helpful, im sure they can work it out for you.

wow...great speedy reply. I am sorry I overloaded that post!!! Just trying to fit it all in.

I DO think I could get up once at night. But, (as write2char said) that one feeding (allowing me to sleep) is a lifesaver this pregnancy. I'm not nearly as loopy as I was with Luke! However, I think it is completely true that the engorgement is from the marathon-ing on Pen's part and the subsequent pumping. I do have a pump in style but am so lazy about using it when I could be at around 9 at night. Penelope is sleeping soooo well so I am hesitant to mess her up...

I just read some more about thrush. I have not seen any spots inside her mouth except her tongue, so, now I am confused. Everything points in that direction.

I think it might also be the Bjorn. She refuses the sling but loves the carrier! However, Im pretty large breasted and the thing both kills my back and smooshes my breasts simultaneously.

(Im so full of complaints on my first day, aren't I? I'm sorry!!!)

Thanks for the great replies...keep them coming, please!

they can have thursh with out all the symtoms..
    I didn't mean for you to think you were writting to much!