Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: OK, milk, go away!

Default OK, milk, go away!

Well, we haven't nursed for 4 weeks, and we only nursed once a day for about 5-10 minute sessions for the last few weeks of breastfeeding. Here I am, still with big lumps of milk in my breasts even though there has been no expression or stimulation of any kind since weaning. They are not engorged, but you can feel big hard lumps inside that feel somewhat "itchy" or "irritated" when I rub them, just like when I didn't nurse for a long time when we breastfed a lot (well, only after I got past the "basketball" stage of OALD). It is also very slightly tender in some spots so I am afraid of mildly clogged ducts, however, can you get a clogged duct 4 weeks after absolutely no movement of milk? Seems like if I were going to get any, it would have been sooner.

I can still squeeze out large droplets of milk still just by expressing from the membranes in the areola, but I have only done it two or three times total since weaning just to "test," undoubtedly not enough to stimulate any production. I have read it takes up to 45 days for the breasts to dry up completely, but am I to expect what's left in there to totally disappear in the next 2 weeks? My breasts don't seem to be making any more milk, but what's left inside is still there and is very easy to squeeze out, however I know I can't remove it or I will stimulate production again. What do I do? Just ignore it for another few weeks? When should I worry if the lumps aren't actually milk, after I can't squeeze out any more?

Default Re: OK, milk, go away!

does your hubby.. well.... help things along during love making?

heres some more offical info...lol
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/L...Jan01p112.html

Humans, however, generally continue to produce milk for about 45 days after complete weaning with some women experiencing milk secretion for several months or more. It is believed that a psychological nursing stimulus contributes to this effect in humans since they continue to have contact with their young long after weaning.

A friend of mine quite nursing at about 9/10 months and she still had milk for at least 6 months after, if not still (not sure, but I can ask). Her DD is about 16/17 months now. Sorry, don't mean to rain on ya!
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

I stopped nursing my first son at 14 months and I didn't completely dry out until at least a year or more after that - sorry!

I thought I was dried up and then I suddenly I could express a little. I think it's because 1. I took a bath with my kid, or 2. I babysit a breastfeeding infant whom I love and who roots at me like she expects me to nurse her.

The lumps, I don't know... wouldn't hurt to have a doc check on them. Did you wean gradually? I didn't have any lumps or engorgement during weaning but it was so ridiculously gradual. I wouldn't know that I still made milk but that I, like you, squeezed them out of curiosity. I did find milk over a month after.. but I don't think it's much.

Hey I have an idea.. adopt!!:tumbsup
    (I fantasize.)

My milk dried up right away after weaning my son but I had milk for 6 months after weaning dd#1. And she didn't nurse as long as my son did and not nearly as long as dd#2 has!

Cathy
    Wife for 11 yrs and counting
    Mom to ds (12/96) bf 11mos
    dd (9/98) bf 6mos
    dd (11/05) bf 27mos and counting!

Thanks for all the help ladies. I guess I'm just ready to go back to "normal," though surely normal with a child is defined very differently now