Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: problems with 2 months

Default problems with 2 months

hi ladies,

first time mom and worry about my little angel. My husband says I stress to much. I agree with him on this one. It just that I want her to be healthy. I hope my stress isn't affecting her eating or my milk supply.

Her birthweight was 6 pounds 4 oz and she weight on Oct 5 9 pounds 4 oz.Pediatrician said she was in the 10%. That sounds too low for me.

my baby is 2 months and 2 weeks. We have been fighting thrush for a month now. She was first perscribed nystatin for a week. Then fluconazole for a week. Hopefully with the gentian violet the doctor prescribed will help her little mouth clear up. My mistake was that I wasn't treating myself. The pediatrician told me to clean my nipples with lotrimin 4 times a day for a week. After my 4th time of using it I clean them with vinegar and water. I hope that will eliminate it for good.

My problems she that she has always fallen a sleep on my breast right away. I'm afraid she won't be gaining enough weight. Therefore loosing my milk supply. I don't want to give her formula.

She only eats for a couple of minutes. When I pump for 1o minutes I only produce 1 oz on each side. After that I burp her and see if she takes it again but usually she doesn't. Then I change her diaper and she takes some more.She hardly spits up. She doesn't take the bottle. She just keeps it in her mouth. When she eats I do hear her swallowing milk.
    Last edited by cyaleman; October 26th, 2007 at 09:16 AM.

Default Re: problems with 2 months

What you are pumping can't compare to what the baby is actually getting. Do you try to wake her once she falls asleep... try rubbing her feet or using a wipe on her feet...
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

10% is not bad... she's gained 3 lbs in 2 months! thats good!!

10% is not bad IMO. My dd2 is 20% and not for my first two kids being small my ped might worry but she is not.

I know if I run my finger along her ear or at the base of her neck she will wake or if I just move just right.

HTH
    Becky ~ 33 Dh ~ 37 (my little geek of geeks)
    Dd1 ~ Brittney 5yrs aka Bunny
    Ds ~ Xander 3yrs aka Xaxu
    Dd2 ~ Bailie 1yr aka Dede

Still going 14months later.

1yr goal and save $2200 average.

My daughter is not as old as yours, but we had big issues with her falling asleep while eating. Things that helped to keep her awake were massaging her back between her shoulder blades, tickling her feet, gently blowing on her face, tickling her chin (to get her to swallow), a cool washcloth to the forehead (if extremely sleepy), and I talked to her A LOT while she was eating to keep her stimulated. I would frequently read her books while she ate, I think the rhythm and my voice helped to keep her awake. Oh yeah, and I always took off her clothes down to her diaper, so we had as much skin-to-skin contact as possible.

Babywearing can also help her to eat more because close proximity to mom encourages nursing, and moms are more able to pick up on hunger cues. (I think I've also read that the baby's closeness to mom can help stimulate milk production.)

Hope this at least helps with the sleepy issue!
    Jen
    Last edited by Charlotte's Mommy; October 26th, 2007 at 01:09 PM.
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

First of all, breastfed babies are usually on the low end of the percentile scale- it's a good thing, most formula fed babies are overweight, mainly because of babies strong suck urge. BF babies can continue to suck after they've consumed most of their calories and fulfill that urge. FF babies will keep sucking formula out of a bottle to fulfill that urge and that's how they get so big... It's more important to make sure your own baby stays in roughly the same place on the chart, so if she used to be 90% and suddenly is 10% that could be a source for concern.

The best way to know if she is getting enough is by counting diapers. She should have at least 6 wet diapers per day. Poopy diapers can range from many a day to as few as one a week or even less and be normal.

I dealt with thrush for about 8 weeks. It's no fun and it is important you are both treated. The gentian violet is messy but works for many people. Here's a link to Dr. Jack Newman's articles. Scroll down to yeast/thrush to find out what he says. It's really helpful info. http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/newman.shtml

Some babies don't take very long to finish a breast. Do you hear her swallowing a lot in those few minutes she is nursing?

Count those diapers. If you aren't having enough wet and poopies then you will probably need to try harder to keep her awake. Also, make sure you are nursing on demand instead of trying to follow some sort of schedule. If you trust your baby and your body's ability to produce milk for her you will be OK!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

Quote Originally Posted by cyaleman View Post
    Her birthweight was 6 pounds 4 oz and she weight on Oct 5 9 pounds 4 oz.Pediatrician said she was in the 10%. That sounds too low for me.
    Already so much good advice, but here's my two cents!

Remember, it's not a contest to see whose baby can get in the highest percentile! Some babies are big, some are small. 10th percentile might just be normal for your baby.

There's more than weight to tell if your baby is healthy and happy!

For what it's worth, my babies are in the second percentile. They're just as healthy as the babies in the 95th percentile!!

Keep up the awesome work and don't stress so much,

Thanks for the advice. Reading and tickling under her chin worked.
    Good news: this morning when i looked inside her little mouth I didn't see anymore white patches. I'm still cleaning myself to make sure we don't pass it to each other. I'm going to clean myself after every feeding until I stop breastfeeding to ensure we stop it from coming back.

She is a happy and alert baby.I think she feels a little bit heavier than before.

I guess the reason I worry so much about her is that she was conceived 3 months after my miscarriage and was born Aug. 10th my brother's birthday. She was also born exactly an hour before he was born. My brother passed away in January 29, when I was 3 months pregnant. I thank God everyday for giving me such a blessing.