Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gassiness and Fussiness

Default Gassiness and Fussiness

Wow...I'm at my wit's end now. My newest problems are with the gassiness and fussiness my daughter is having daily and nightly. For a couple of days, she had no bm (which I know is normal at 6 weeks for a bf baby). However, she was passing gas constantly, and it smelled horrible. Also, she had been unusually fussy for several days prior to this, and even fussier while she was awaiting a bm. Her cries seemed to be higher pitched and much more frequent, suggesting she was in pain. In addition, my evenings are now spent pulling my hair out trying to find what will make her happy. When she finally had a bm yesterday, it went EVERYWHERE. She was happy for a while, but now is back to her unusual fussiness, again. She is still sleeping quite a bit during the day, and when she's awake, all she wants to do is eat or cry...especially in the evenings. I don't have a problem producing enough milk for her...I actually have an oversupply and OALD.

I have so many questions, but my most pressing one is this: how can I tell if her constant fussiness is due lack of a bm, something I ate/drank, a growth spurt, my OALD, or what? I don't want to overfeed her, but if she needs it because of a growth spurt, I want to give all I can to her. And if not having a bm for several days is normal for a bf baby her age, why does she seem to be in so much gassy pain prior to having one?

Wife to the wonderful Joe Tran
    Stay-At-Home-Mom since 12/07
    First born son Noah, born 3/23/97, 8 lbs 1 oz, 20 1/4"
    New baby girl, born 9/13/07, 8 lbs 7 oz, 20"

Blissfully breastfeeding, babywearing, co-sleeping, and cloth-diapering mama.
    "As newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the Word, that you may grow thereby" (1 Peter 2:2)

Default Re: Gassiness and Fussiness

Firstly 6 weeks is prime time for a growth spurt. But I'm not sure that your baby should become gassy during this time. Mine didn't. I would watch what I was eating if I were you. Any food that makes you gassy will also have the same effect on baby. It could also be dairy. Try and cut out dairy and see if that does not help. If all else fail, contact your pead and get hands on help.

Good luck mama!

My dd is excactly the same way. She is 9 weeks 3 days, but started this about 6 weeks. I cut dairy, because it definately makes it worse, but it's not the primary cause. Hopefully, some of these ladies will chime in w/ advice

I have no answers, but wanted to lend a sympathetic ear. Hang in there!

My 6 wk old has also started bouts of gassiness/fussiness, as well as some struggles passing bm's. Hers, however, are not reduced in frequency. We've been thinking it might be a virus, as her poops are a little green, but not "frothy" as would be expected with oversupply. I cut dairy (and a bunch of other stuff) a few weeks ago, and that seemed to be working until now. I'm currently trying to downregulate the oversupply a bit to see if that'll help.

I agree - it is so frustrating not knowing whether her constant desire to eat is due to the fussiness or represents a growth spurt!

Maybe some of the more experienced mamas will have some suggestions...

maybe she is getting too much foremilk (lactose rich....)...sometimes this may cause gassiness and fussy babies ...and explosive green type bm....

you say that you have oversupply and OALD--try to extract a bit of your milk right before putting your baby to the breast, so she will have more hindmilk (protein and fat rich milk) and get more satisfied....
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to

Gosh, you sound just like us at that age... I would consider eliminating dairy...This will take several days to make a difference...has to clear your systems. This solution was a miracle to me and LO. She was a different baby after cutting dairy. Slowly, I started adding small amounts back into my diet over time! Now at 5 months old, I pretty much eat anything and nothing seems to bother her. The digestive tracct begins to mature around 4 months and can handle more! Good Luck! I totally understand how frustrating this can be!

Yeah, mine was like that for the first 2.5 months. It seems to be getting better slowly, now he is at 3 mo. It is crazy and mind boggling but they do get better it seems.

I have the same issues coupled with frequent spitting up ( I mean, like 4-5 times after EVERY feed) and grunting ALL NIGHT long. I don't get it either, and this is my third baby! Hoping to hear some good advice.
    Meantime know that you aren't alone..

Cutting out~ milk, onions, potatoes, beans, broccoli... will help reduce your baby's gas. Those are my favorite foods so I know it is hard!

Before bed and sometimes during the day I run a hot bath for both baby and I, this always helps my LO relax~ pass his gas~

Hope you and your LO get relief soon.