Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pain While Pumping

Default Pain While Pumping

About once a month for the last few months I have a couple of days where pumping/nursing is really painful. I'm wondering if it has to do with ovulation because it lasts about 3 days and I always get my period about a week to 10 days later. Does anyone else experience this?

Default Re: Pain While Pumping

I don't remember their being pain when I was pumping during ovulation. What I did notice was that I wasn't getting the same level of output.

Maybe try lowering the suction a bit during that time to see if it makes a difference? Could ease the pain a little. HTH.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

It's round on the ends and high in the middle

Dont know about the ovulation things (8 months pp and still no sign of my period!), but I agree with Tiffony that you should look at reducing the suction on your pump.
    I have had some pain/tenderness with pumpng before (esp. after a week of doing it at work) and I find that some lanisoh cream helps. Maybe it's pyschosomantic, but it works for me!

Jessica
    Fancy Momma to the Divine Miss M, 2/15/07 BF'ed for 17 months!
    Currently TTC Baby #2

Hello babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies - Damn it, you've got to be kind. - Kurt Vonnegut

Pumping shouldn't be painful. I'm not sure exactly what *kind* of pain you're experiencing, but if it's nipple pain I would think that it *could* be connected to ovulation. Mine can get tender around that time.

I agree that some Lansinoh and adjusting the suction might help.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Yes, it is nipple pain - they become very tender and it is during nursing too. LO pulls off and it REALLY hurts!

Definitely second the lanolin. Also, if this happens while nursing as well, you might want to just double check your latch with the baby. I know early on, K would only get just the nipple in her mouth and when she was done it would look white and blanched and be very painful. Make sure that you get a good portion of the areola into the baby's mouth when nursing. Be sure that their mouth is wide open, like a yawn and put your breast (nipple and areola - as much as possible) in. I aimed for the nipple to head towards the roof of her mouth. That eased a lot of the pain and pinching.

Mama to my little Diva: Miss K (7/15/06)
    And her little sister: Lulu Pie (3/21/09)

"Don't toush da mango"
    One-handed typer Extraordinaire!
    My body creates, houses, nurtures and nourishes life. That is awesome.
    Kegel Kop says: TIGHTEN UP!

I forgot to mention DS is 10 months and has 6 teeth so I think the issue is that they are sore to begin with and when he starts pulling off (trying to see things, etc.) the teeth do the most damage. Normally things are fine it is just a few days a month. I have some Lansinoh in my pump back, I think I'll apply it on my next break. Thanks everyone!

The teeth are a never ending problem, one of mine can't seem to keep her teeth to herself either. When I first got AF back I did get some nipple sensitivity a few days in advance, not pain like from bad latch or teeth, more like it was just plain uncomfortable and made me feel restless and not want to nurse, if that makes sense. That only happened for the first couple cycles and then went away.

Yes, that makes perfect sense to me. The pain is gone now so I guess the cycle will be starting soon!