Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My baby is sick

Unhappy My baby is sick

Wayne got his first cold He has blocked nose and has been refusing the breast for 2 days. Tried giving him a bottle but still no luck. I am using Otrivin nasal drops but he really cries and screams when I try to do it for him. Am using Vicks rub. Any help pls?
    Mom to Wayne since 02.24.2007
    AND
    Keeran 07.19.2010

My kids are my life!

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them - Desmond Tutu

Default Re: My baby is sick

I use Sterimar nasal spray, I feel it works better than the otrivin - and its easier to spray it in than the otrivin. Once that's in, suck the mucus out (I use my mouth coz I find that's most efficient.. some may find that disgusting..).

I also use a swing whenever he has a cold, helps him fall asleep better.. and put Vicks in a boiling pot and leave the hot pot in the room. I recently posted something similar.. will look for it.. I'll come back with the link.

ETA: When I say Vicks I meant Baby Vicks..
    Last edited by selina21; October 26th, 2007 at 05:00 PM.

Thanks !
    AND
    Keeran 07.19.2010

My kids are my life!

You don't choose your family. They are God's gift to you, as you are to them - Desmond Tutu

http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=36249

HTH! Good luck mama.. and take it easy, I know it can be stressful when your precious one is sick..

Thank you Selina. It helps.
    AND
    Keeran 07.19.2010

My kids are my life!

A friend told me this helped her baby: Put a little Vicks vapor rub on the soles of baby's feet and put on warm socks for the little one.
    Caylen Koen Chew (25/05/06)
    Lost No.2 in Aug 2008 ... Lost No. 3 in May 2009 Hoping for another ... Enjoying No.1

sitting in the bathroom with the shower running will help with the congestion as well. The steam loosens everything up.

My Lo is finally recoverin from him cold, its such a common thing yet it makes our LO's very misrebale, PP gave some great suggestions, one thing that lots of mama's suggested is to open hot shower and nurse ur LO in the bathroom, the steam will help you there.

Once I did this, I boiled some water in a tea pot and as the steam was coming out of the small opening (couldnt find a better word ) I stood there with my LO for like 5 mins, u got to be veryy carefull though, it helped with the congestion and he nursed for 20 mins non stop, poor thing was so hungry.

HTH

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."

The doctor has just came. He advised me to use Ocean-Spray Nasal Spray. Wayne is sleeping now I really feel sorry for him. We all got the flu. Thank you ladies and Dorothy I will try using the Vicks as you did.
    AND
    Keeran 07.19.2010

My kids are my life!

Is there a difference between regular vicks and the baby kind? I was thinking of using some w/ Logan today but wasn't sure if I had to go out and get the baby one. I have the regular in my medicine cabinet I think.

We've been battling the cold all week- the worst part is him waking up in the middle of the night all congested and can't fall back asleep.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09