Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starting solids questions

Default Re: Starting solids questions

Quote Originally Posted by ashleynjacy
    My baby is four and a half months and always seems hungry. She also always seems interested in what I am eating. I am getting pressure to NOT start feeding solids by breastfeeding moms. I feel as though my baby is ready. I don't want to replace breastmilk with baby food, just give her a little something extra. When she sees me eat she opens her mouth and gets excited. She wants to eat.
    LOL! Sure she's excited to see you - she wants to nurse! I'm not saying your should or shouldn't start at 4 mos - you have all the info here to make an informed decision. But also know that you aren't depriving your baby of anything but not giving her solids right now, she can do fine without solids. Don't feel pressure from anyone - you're the mom so you can make whatever decision you feel is best. I think that the people on these forums just want to make sure that moms have all the right info b/c so much of what you get from peds, companies, etc.. is wrong.

Good Luck!

My pediatrician told me that my baby needed the vitamins because there is no vitamin D in breast milk and the baby shouldn't be out in the sun so cannot get vitamin D that way. After 6 months they switched her to prescription vitamins with fluoride for tooth development. THey also said she needed the rice cereal for the iron.
    My second daughter is now 7 mos. old and doesn't seem ready for solids but I have been trying to give her the rice cereal with fruit because I was worried about the iron. Lately they have been saying it doesn't matter how much solids she takes it's just all about teaching her to eat from a spoon! I am not sure what to believe.

Hi

I am not sure if ebf helps.our son dropped rom 25 th to 10 th percetile while i am bfIng with ceral only since couple of weekls very little omce a day
    what could be teh rason?I read LLL websites so much and tried to follow it word for word?
    worried..!

Quote Originally Posted by drmom
    My pediatrician told me that my baby needed the vitamins because there is no vitamin D in breast milk and the baby shouldn't be out in the sun so cannot get vitamin D that way. After 6 months they switched her to prescription vitamins with fluoride for tooth development. THey also said she needed the rice cereal for the iron.
    My second daughter is now 7 mos. old and doesn't seem ready for solids but I have been trying to give her the rice cereal with fruit because I was worried about the iron. Lately they have been saying it doesn't matter how much solids she takes it's just all about teaching her to eat from a spoon! I am not sure what to believe.
    well, to put it bluntly - none of it is true.
    the amount of time your baby needs to be in the sun to get sufficient vitamin D is just a few minutes, perfectly healthy, not risky sunbathing
    Too much flouride in the diet can actually damage teeth.
    an ebf baby really doesnt need any supplements at all.
    if you're worried about iron levels, have a simple prick test done. only supplement iron if she is already very deficient. and you dont need to give cereal to get iron - there are plenty of good, natual iron supplements for babies around.

about eating from a spoon, if anyone tells you its important that babies learn to use a spoon at 6 months, look them in the eye and ask them; "will my baby fail to learn this skill later in life if she doesnt learn it now?" perhaps you should start her learning to drive, just in case she wont be able to catch this skill when she's older