Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting solids questions

Default Starting solids questions

well ds is now almost 5months and i really need to start looking into this. at our 4month appt his ped. told me to go ahead and start giving him cereal at 5months along with a mutli-vitiamian (poly-so i think). i feel as he dosent need the multi-vit bc he is still a EBF'd baby and at least till he's 6months he is getting EVERYTHING he needs from bm. i also dont think he's ready for solids yet. he's not lunging for our food when we eat and not sitting up alone.

i've read on this board that babies can thrive on mamas milk for a yr or longer BUT do i need to give him the multi-vitiamans after 6months if we delay solids? also i heard that by delaying solids some babies have a texture problem when they are toddlers??

any thoughts??

Default Re: Starting solids questions

Ds started solids at 4 mo and had absolutely no problems with texture at that point: he loved unmashed bananas, etc. However, as soon as he was about 10 mo, he started having texture issues (due to teething I think) and still has these issues at 13.5 mo. My point is that early introduction of solids in my expirence does not help babies avoid texture issues at all.

From what I have read, healthy full term infants can go 12 mo or even longer on mother's milk alone. They do not need any additonal vitamins, water, juice, cereal, or anything else. However, some babies (especally those born a bit early) might start needing some extra iron around 8-10 mo. If you think your baby may be a bit low on iron, you can have a simple blood test done to see how his iron levels are doing.

When you do choose to start solids, remember that there is no real need to use cereal at all. LLL recomends starting with banana, squash, sweet potato, avacado etc. Here is a link to LLL's FAQ on first foods: http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/firstfoods.html

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by rachael

i've read on this board that babies can thrive on mamas milk for a yr or longer BUT do i need to give him the multi-vitiamans after 6months if we delay solids? also i heard that by delaying solids some babies have a texture problem when they are toddlers??

any thoughts??
    i have many thoughts on this whole issue

most doctors encourage mothers to gives solids at 4 mos, even if they are EBF, even tho the AAP and WHO both say EBF until SIX months. Lord knows why. Personally, I think most doctors have such limited knowledge of breastmilk that they don't trust their own organizations advice. I personally had to search out a doctor who would not pressure or criticize the way I approach infant-feeding (letting baby feed him/herself, giving solids in addition to not in place of BM, allowing baby to start solids at his/her own pace).

You will find that many doctors who are openly supportive and well-informed about breastmilk, as well as many LLL leaders and IBCLCs, say that you can actually exclusively breastfeed for one full year (12 mos) without any solids OR vitamins. This is not to say you should withhold solids, but you neednt worry if you are still nursing on demand and your baby is only eating a little here or there.

There are so many differences of opinion on this whole issue, especially when it comes to labeling kids at "picky eaters". Other people will tell you that breastfed kids are less picky because the flavor milk changes according to what the mother eats, or kids who arent given the jarred purees and cereals and are just breastfed until they are given lumpier foods are deal better w/ texture.

Just follow your baby's cues and don't let what your child's ped or whoever else pressure you into doing what you feel isnt appropriate for your child. If you are concerned have the ped monitor his weight and health. I'm sure your child will be just fine.

Naturally they want you to put your baby on vitamins. Same reason they push moms to give formula. MONEY. It's all about the money. The next time someone suggests you give your baby a vitamin, I'd ask them if they would like to pay for it.

Your baby will be just fine with your milk alone until 6-7 months. And the nutrients she absorbs from your milk and from other foods will be plenty for her. Most of the things they put in vitamins are not able to be absorbed by the body anyways. We were meant to eat REAL food and get our nutrition from the natural process of digestion. When you take a pill, your body pretty much says "WTF is this" and you eliminate most of what you took.

The idea behind vitamins and their relevancy in a baby's diet depends on if mom is getting an addequate supply of vitamins then her milk will contain an adequate balance of vitamins for her baby. Mom's can achieve this through a varied nutritious diet and/or vitamin supplementation for mom. All in all, vitamins are not needed as long as everyone is eating healthy.

Some signs to look for when starting your baby on solids are: can he sit up unassisted, tongue-thrust reflex diminishes, ability to pick food up and put it into his mouth, readiness to chew. I like to say that you will KNOW when your ds is ready, b/c he will make it very obvious; either showing interest in the food you eat and/or trying to eat food on his own.

I believe that there are only advantages to waiting a little longer until your baby is ready to start solids. The longer you wait, the less chance of adversely affecting your milk supply, the longer baby's digestive system has to develop and mature, less risk of developing allergies, and the list goes on. With my first dd we started solids at 5 months, and she was clearly not ready once we tried. It ended up taking upwards of a month just for her to get the hang of it. In hindsight, I know she wasn't ready, and if I had waited until 6-7 months I would have not wasted so much time/energy/food on a milestone not yet obtainable. With my second dd, she started around 8 months and started w/very mushy table food (skipped cereals and such) and she took about a day to figure it out. I think the texture issue is a matter of maturation and personal preference; I don't think starting earlier will prime the palette for less texture issues later on.

Good luck and follow your baby's cues; obviously the blanketed advice often given in books and by doctors does not apply to every baby. Know that your milk alone can sustain your baby for the first year and solids will merely be a supplement to your source of primary nourishment.

HTH!

It's true what everyone said: though the Dr. might pressure you to start solids as early as 4 months (not to mention mothers, mothers-in-law, neighbours, well-meaning strangers...), there is NO reason to do it - even the WHO recommends at least 6 months EBF.
    The best way to tell if your baby is ready for solids is when the baby lets you know she's ready. Babies reach out for food, try putting food in their mouths and are obviously interested in your food. this is the best signal. Dont try pushing food on a baby before she shows interest, and it can even go up to 12 months without a problem.
    As for first foods, cereals are NOT necessarily the best first food, though Heinz and Gerber's would have you believe so! starting a baby on simple raw fruits like mashed banana or papaya are great. let your baby guide you, and when she starts to be obviously intersed in food, its okay to let her taste anything you're eating.
    And on that point, even "non-bland" foods are fine. I let my daughter taste whatever she wanted to taste, not to eat, just to taste as much as she wanted, and by the age of 14 months, she was a healthy eater who loved olives, spicy chillies, broccoli, spinach, pickles and all kinds of stuff people were shocked at!
    As to amounts, a fingerfull is plenty to begin with. I used to chew all my dd's food and "kiss-feed" her.
    When introducing new stuff, watch closely to see if there's any digestive reaction. when my girl was 7 months, I let my mother pressure me into giving dd "baby rice cereal" and she immediately got the typical runny nose that most babies have. (Rice is a highly mucus-producing food) I stopped the cereal and the runny nose cleared right up, never to return. we re-tried rice at 10 months, and by then (when she showed interest in rice) she handled it fine.

So, go with your baby's cues, she know's what's best!

thanks so much everyone for answering my question! feeding ds will be child led not doctor same with weaning

Thumbs up Re: Starting solids questions

Quote Originally Posted by rachael
    thanks so much everyone for answering my question! feeding ds will be child led not doctor same with weaning
    Good for you!!!

My baby is four and a half months and always seems hungry. She also always seems interested in what I am eating. I am getting pressure to NOT start feeding solids by breastfeeding moms. I feel as though my baby is ready. I don't want to replace breastmilk with baby food, just give her a little something extra. When she sees me eat she opens her mouth and gets excited. She wants to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by ashleynjacy
    My baby is four and a half months and always seems hungry. She also always seems interested in what I am eating. I am getting pressure to NOT start feeding solids by breastfeeding moms. I feel as though my baby is ready. I don't want to replace breastmilk with baby food, just give her a little something extra. When she sees me eat she opens her mouth and gets excited. She wants to eat.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html