Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: reduced nursing time after solids - 7 month old

Default reduced nursing time after solids - 7 month old

I am concerned that my 7.5 month old daughter is not getting enough fluids. After she started solids at 6 months the time she spends nursing has greatly reduced. Here is our schedule:
    Upon waking nurse (5-10 mins), 8a cereal mixed with 2-3 oz of breastmilk and then offered the rest of her bottle, usually drinks only another oz or so, 11a nurse for about 5-7 mins, 1 serv. veggies and 1 serv. fruit for lunch, 2p nurse 5-7 mins, 5p nurse for 5-7 mins, 1 serv. veggies and 1 serv. fruit for dinner, 6:30p nurse 10-15 mins before bed and then nurse 10-15 mins if she wakes up at night.
    She is on such a strict schedule because she is at daycare M-F. She does not have any overt health problems and is quite chubby.
    I have been offering her breastmilk in a cup for sips during dinner. Do you think I need to offer her more throughout the day or is she getting enough during the nurses even though they are short?

Default Re: reduced nursing time after solids - 7 month old

How many wet diapers is she making?

You could cut back on the solids she is eating; 3 meals a day is more than many 7 mos are eating. At that age, ds ate two very small meals.

Also, try offering the bulk of her solids when she is at daycare so you two can concentrate on nursing while you're together.

Babies this age can be very efficent at empying the breast in short nursing sessions, so don't be too worried how long she stays at the breast, so long as you still see/hear her swallowing and so long as she's still making enough wet diapers.

I believe her wet diaper out put is fine. It seems as though she is always wet. She has two BMs per day. Sometimes I think they are a little hard... As far as her meals, we have just been following the guidelines from her Ped.
    So as they get older they can drain the breast faster but still get the amount they need?

Yes, older babies can definately get what they need in less time than younger babies; they just get better at it with pratice (which is good news for those of us who's babies took 45-60 mins as newborns! ).

Many Dr's don't understand just how wonderful and important breastmilk is for babies. For instance, I bet yours doesn't know that healthy full term infants can thrive for 12 mo or even longer on mother's milk alone. If she's doing fine with that amount of solids and seems to enjoy them, then great. But you did say her poops seem to be a bit hard, so maybe cutting back a bit for a few weeks or at least until her poops soften up a bit would be wise. Remember, you are the mommy; your Dr can offer his oppinion, but he can't control how you choose to feed your child. The decision is ultimately up to you.

The important thing, regardless of how much solids you are offering or how often, is that you are always offering breastmilk before solids. This way, you know she's filling up on the good stuff and that solids are only a little extra afterwards and ensures that breastmilk remain the primary source of nutriton for the entire first year.

Thank you for your comments and suggestions! I do always nurse her before any "meals" are offered. I am so proud that I've been able to nurse this long! Many of my friends weren't able to or didn't make the commitment. I am getting anxious because my back up milk supply is getting low. I think I will be out this month. Even though I still pump twice a day I don't think I'll have enough to send for her breakfast and morning bottle at daycare. So, I guess I may have to start sending formula at some point (is that bad?) but I will continue to nurse her every other time. I am blessed with a flexible schedule at work that allows me to go and nurse her twice a day!