Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Our first nursing strike???

Default Our first nursing strike???

Ok, so I am SOOOOO sad. My lo had a rough night last night and nursed a few extra times. I thought we might be beginning a growth spurt, but then this morning he wouldn't nurse. I leave him with a friend once a week (this morning) and left him with extra bm just in case (he drank nearly 7 oz. Throughout the day I offered constantly but couldn't get him to latch. I thought, maybe teething? So I used some orajel around the time dh got home tonight. LO calmed down (he had been super fussy and screaming all night) All day he wouldn't sleep, wouldn't eat, I didn't know what to do. For the first time ever I pumped and gave him the bottle with me here! It is so devastating! He is so attached to me and norrmally screams with dh at night (he only wants me) tonight, he screamed every time I offered the breast and was fine with dh. When I pumped tonight (second time today since he wouldnt eat earlier) my supply was WAY down and I only pumped btwn 2.5 -3 oz. LO sucked it down plus another 3 oz from the fridge. What a sad day! He drank all that and now is sound asleep. What do I do? Keep pumping to keep up my supply? How long do nursing strikes usually last? What can I do to help LO back to the breast? I love the relationship I have with my lo, and I am nowhere ready to stop bf! Help please! Thanks All!

Default Re: Our first nursing strike???

I am going through the same thing with my 9 month old. We are on Day 10 and still she cries when I offer. I have been told that these can run from a few days, weeks and even a month. I know how you are feeling. This is my last child and I looked at bfing for at least another 9 months.

I have also been told to pump and be patient. I am not the most patient when it comes to taking care of my children. I want to be able to provide the best nutrition etc for my children.

Being here and on this chat is he best place I have found for support.

Just keep pumping and hang in there. We will all make it through these striking times. As I see on the board there are a lot of us having problems. Let's hope it is because of the full moon and be over soon.

It could be teething, or that he's suddenly taking interest in his surrounding - the distractible baby, my DS has been one since he was 4mo (he is now 10mo). He refuses to take the breast while awake, but is willing to take the bottle. However, when he was teething 2 mths ago, he hardly ate any solid, drank any milk for a couple of days, so I think that could be the difference.

You should definitely pump and do whatever you can to keep your supply up. Did he wake up to nurse last night? Did he take the breast?

My LO is super distactable, but he usually is on an off quickly and only nurses well at home on his boppy. IDK. Last night he woke at 10:30 and latched for bout 2 minutes then at 4:45 he woke and ate great! (20 minutes about) This morning at 7:45 he latched for about 3 minutes and is not interested anymore, but he is happy and not screaming, so maybe today will be better!