My daughter is 5 weeks old (current weight - 6.3; birth weight - 5.4) and has been granted permission from her pediatrician to move toward demand led feedings (we had been on a strict every 2 hour schedule where she had to be forced to eat even if she wasn't hungry). With the clock telling me when she was hungry - I tuned out her hunger cues and am now left with questions:
* How do I know when she's hungry vs some other problem?
* If she's crying and I offer her the breast and she doesn't vigorously suck - does that mean she's not hungry or that she's slow to get started?
* How do I know when she's finished eating; i.e. falling asleep at the breast - done eating or just taking a break?
* If she sleeps 4 hours + at a stretch - should I wake her to feed?
* Can she show signs of hunger - rooting, sucking fists, tongue thrusting - and simply want to suck (not hungry)?