Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is comfort feeding ok?

Default Is comfort feeding ok?

My daughter is 2 months old and the only thing that seems to calm her down and put her to sleep at night is putting her to the breast. Its frustrating because at night when she is tired she wants the breast but she is not hungry. Sometimes it can be every hour for 3-4 hours straight. While I dont mind putting her to the breast, Im afraid she will become too dependent and not be able to fall asleep on her own. And she refuses the pacifier and so my breast has become the only thing that soothes her. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Is comfort feeding ok?

I comfort feed, but not for hrs.... B/c of returning to work, I had to find a pacifier that he liked....try using your pinky with the nail side down....
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

I put my almost 6 month old DS to sleep by nursing, and when he wakes up at night I don't even try to rock him or anything I just give him the boob and he goes back to sleep, though sometimes he just wants to stay up and play haha. But I don't find a problem in comfort nursing. Thats what I'm here for to comfort.

I comfort nurse my 8 month old to sleep still, but once down [knock on wood], she sleeps through the night (10 hrs). She didn't at 2 months, though. Give it some time - she'll be sleeping longer hours soon. Mine did around 3 months.

Amy

imo that's what boobs are made for (well, that and feeding ). I guarantee you won't have a teenager that can't fall asleep without your boob!!

Seriously, though. I'm very thankful that my breasts calm my baby. It has helped through teething, ear infections, shots, croup, bumped heads, skinned knees and I could go on and on.

If it's getting to be too much at night, maybe Daddy could try putting her back to sleep sometimes? This works for us some nights. Other nights it has to be me. It does get frustrating sometimes, but like I said, I'm also very grateful that I have such an instant cure-all and I try to remind myself of that when I get irritated.

It may also be that your child is having a growth spurt and is needing to eat more these days. If that is the case it should only last a week or so.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I do the same thing and I have wrestled with the decision as many have criticised it. So what. I have noticed that between 2 mos and 8 mos (my son now) there has been a lot of change. A LOT. He is less dependent, gets what he needs quicker and less often, and doesn't wake up nearly as often as before. Maybe once a night. And I'm up for maybe a minute and a half to boob him back to sleep. You'll be fine. It will get better, no need to deny him the comfort.

My only concern now is that once I wean, what will be the new sleepy-time routine?

Eve

I agree with PP, comfort nursing is part of what boobs are for.

For me, there are times I get frustrated, and I have a little trick that sometimes works. I pull back just a little, so that my LO still has the nipple, but has to work harder to keep it. He usually lets go faster. I've tried other ways of removing my nipple and they just wake him up. It doesn't always feel good to me, but it seems as if he doesn't try to get it again that way.

Mostly I remind myself that he is growing too fast, and the day will come that he will be mortified to think of his days "on the boob".
    Kat

SAHM mom to Richard, born 6/6/07 at 8 pounds, now 27!

Wife to Michael for 13 years

I comfort feed my 11 month old. He wakes still in the night to get nursed back to sleep, but not as often. (and he does know how to comfort himself) However, when he's teething he wakes a lot! This week has been horrible! We were up 4 times last night. Ugh! (so what am I doing on the computer? I should be in bed!)
    My husband gets irritated with me using my boob for comfort because there are times when he tries to help me out when he wakes and LO just wants me. It's frustrating at times, but I agree with the PP - he will be grown before I know it and I want to enjoy ever minute of him.

I love it when my DD comfort nurses. I think it is such a sweet time, usually just before she really falls asleep. I think I will miss that so much when it ends. She also falls asleep on daddy some nights, which I also find very sweet to see the two of them snuggled up. (I'm just sweet on all my sweethearts tonight I guess....)

Maybe your DH could try to comfort your lo some nights? I agree with babygurl that the pinky also works -- that has gotten us through a few car rides while we were looking for a place to stop!
    Clara Ann from 6/27/07 to 7/2/09

Here are my thoughts...

Some moms decide to nurse to sleep until baby weans herself. But, at some point, you may start to feel comfortable laying your baby in her crib awake. For me, this point came at about 9/10 months old. My babies do fuss for a few minutes (10 or so) before falling asleep.

For me, it's sanity to be able to comfort nurse my little ones. I also nurse them back to sleep at night when they wake up. This will change when it stops working for them and me.

Good luck,