Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much rice cereal is too much for a 14 month old?

Default How much rice cereal is too much for a 14 month old?

Rice cereal and yogurt are the only things my 13.5 month old likes (I guess we are a little behind on solids compared to other kids his age). He especially likes cereal a lot. How much of the plain cereal can he have - as much as he wants?? His grandma mixes it with water since I don't have enough breastmilk to leave for cereal. Is there an amount of cereal that is too much for a meal? Sorry this sounds silly but I want to be sure, because when he was abt 8 months he was given too much cereal when I was at work and then he didn't want to nurse anymore. I had to struggle hard to change things around when I went on leave from work at that time. He is older now and running around, and I am back to work again, so things are slightly different. But I just wanted to check in with you folks who are always there to answer when moms like me worry.

Thanks!

Default Re: How much rice cereal is too much for a 14 month old?

Probably as much as he wants is fine at this point, so long as he's still nursing well and not getting constipated.

Are you still offering different foods to see if he'll eat them? How much rice cereal does he usually eat at one meal?

I would recomend offering him foods he can self-feed like chunks of ripe banana and avacado and pieces of soft cooked sweet potato/yams and other steamed till soft veggies.

Does he eat plain yogurt or the kind with fruit in it?

Thanks for your reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Feorsteorra
    Are you still offering different foods to see if he'll eat them? How much rice cereal does he usually eat at one meal?
    Yes I am still offering other foods but havent let him self feed in a while. Maybe i should try that again now. He eats around half a cup of rice cereal at one meal (and I think he is being pushed into eating more each day when I am not around because of the suspicion that my milk too less )

Quote Originally Posted by Feorsteorra
    Does he eat plain yogurt or the kind with fruit in it?
    He eats the one with fruit in it - the yobaby yogurts.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald
    I think he is being pushed into eating more each day when I am not around because of the suspicion that my milk too less )
    Print this out and give it to his grandma: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9342112/ (Or just read it yourself and inform her of the key points. )

He eats the one with fruit in it - the yobaby yogurts.
    Hmm...what about mixing some extra fruit into the yogurt? Or just offering some fruit by itself? With my own ds, pretty much the only way I can get him to eat avacado is to blend it into yogurt with other fruit (ie bananas, oranges, etc).

HTH

at 14 months if he has teeth he could be eating regular cold cereal like kix's or o's. My kids normaly have about 1/2 a cup serving at breakfast. I try and stay away from the kindsof cereal that are mostly sugar.
    I could be wrong but I don't think that baby rice cereal is a whole grain.

He only has 4 teeth on top and 2 on bottom. I am not sure if he can eat the regular cereal - won't he choke on them if he cannot chew them?

Quote Originally Posted by andrea_ohio
    I could be wrong but I don't think that baby rice cereal is a whole grain.
    What does it mean if the cereal is not whole grain? Is it not healthy if it is not whole grain? Are there whole grain equvivalents of baby cereal?
    I am unclear about this so can you please explain? Thanks!

He only has 4 teeth on top and 2 on bottom. I am not sure if he can eat the regular cereal - won't he choke on them if he cannot chew them?
    Ds was eating Cheerios at 6 mo with no teeth at all. He never choked, just gumbed them up and swallowed no problem.

What does it mean if the cereal is not whole grain? Is it not healthy if it is not whole grain? Are there whole grain equvivalents of baby cereal?
    I am unclear about this so can you please explain? Thanks!
    A whole grain cereal uses the whole grain, whereas other cereals only use part of it. Yes, whole grain cereals (and breads, and pastas, etc) are far healthier. I think you can get some whole-grain babycereal, but I don't see it in most stores. I think the only one I saw was brown rice baby cereal (brown rice means whole grain, while white rice means not whole grain). Many normal breakfast cereals such as Cheerios and Mini Wheats are whole grain. They also contain varying amounts of sugar and sodium, so read labels carefully.

heres a little article from mothering mag..

Baby cereal is made from refined grain that has been processed and precooked. Refined grains have nothing to offer but carbohydrates. Whole grains, on the other hand, contain not only carbohydrates but also protein, fat, fiber, vitamins, and essential minerals...
    ...perhaps playing to the fears of conscientious parents, baby food manufacturers typically fortify their infant cereals with electrolytic iron. Unfortunately, this is one of the least absorbable forms of artificial iron. It will, however, stick to the flakes without settling to the bottom of the box. Ferrous sulfate, a more absorbable form of iron, can affect the flavor and appearance of the cereal.
    Artificial iron wouldn't be required at all if the companies used whole grain for their cereals, especially such nutrient dense varieties as quinoa and millet, which have naturally occurring iron. If you are breastfeeding your baby (Babies absorb iron from breastmilk better than from iron-fortified formulas,) eating a well-balanced diet, and using whole grain cereal for your baby, you should not have to worry about iron.

Whole Grain Baby Cereal
    These grains were chosen because they were the least allergenic and the easiest to digest.
    Choose one: 1 cup short-grain brown rice
    1 cup millet
    1 cup quinoa
    1 cup sweet brown rice

Toast grain: Place grains in a fine strainer; rinse and drain. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread grains on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven until they give off a nutty aroma. (12 to 15 min.) Let toasted grains cool and then store in a covered container.
    You can also toast the grains in a skillet on med. heat, stirring constantly, until grains give off a nutty aroma. (5 to 8 minutes)
    Grind grain: For optimum nutrition, grind the toasted grains in a small electric grinder or food processor just prior to using; once a grain is ground it begins to lose its nutritional value within 24 to 48 hours.
    Cook ground grain into cereal: Mix together 2 to 3 tablespoons of ground cereal and 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water in a small pot. Bring to a boil. reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 5 min.

From Mothering Magazine, Nov./Dec. 1998

http://www.babybag.com/articles/babyfd.htm

Hi Andrea,

Thanks so much for sharing this information. I have a food processor, and plan to try these out when my little ones starts food (he's only 5 months now). I've seen Earth's Best makes a whole grain brown rice cereal. Also, oatmeal is whole grain.

Andrea - Thanks a lot for sharing this info!