Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Warming your milk

Default Warming your milk

Hi ladies, how do you warm your breast milk in a cup of hot water or In one of those milk warming machines?

Default Re: Warming your milk

Heating Milk

"Frozen or refrigerated human milk is best heated by holding the container of milk under cool running water and gradually adding warmer water until the milk is thawed and warmed to room temperature. If running water is not available, a pan of water can be heated on the stove. The container of milk can be placed in the warm water once it has been removed from the heat source. Milk can also be defrosted in the refrigerator overnight."

Do not bring temperature of milk to boiling point. Do not use a microwave oven to heat human milk.

I used to warm it by placing the pumped milk (bottle or bag) in a container that had warm water in it, then swirl it to get the fat redistributed throughout it. HTH

We use a large (2+ cup) measuring cup - warm water in microwave and put bottle in that.

Quote Originally Posted by amyped View Post
    We use a large (2+ cup) measuring cup - warm water in microwave and put bottle in that.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

It depends.

At home we use a bottle warmer. We have the first years warmer, which is safe to use with breast milk. You just use less water. We poor the breast milk in an emptied glass baby food jar that we rewash and heat it in that so it heats faster (Kayleigh is an impatient little lady when she decides she's hungry!)

When we're out and about, we used to use a cheap plastic 2 cup measuring cup. Now that we've moved to the larger drop ins bottles, we use a taller glass. I just go to a restaurant (or the bathroom and get hot tap if we're not in a food court or eating out) and ask for some hot water from a tea pot. Dunk the bottle and in about a minute or two it's ready to go!
    Momma to K 05/24/07 (due 05/31/07)
    Momma to I, 06/04/10 VBAC'd (due 05/31/10). Read about it here

Exclusive Pumper to first for 18 months.
    I got my VBAC!

Struggling with nursing but one way or another breast milk is all they get.

My mom uses a large cup, adds warm tap water and places the bottle in that. It seems to work well for us!
    Betsy
    mama to:
    N 5/03
    J 6/07

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

One thing I've found that works really well: I put milk into one of those freezer container packets and put that in a warm bowl of water. It heats much more quickly than if it's in a bottle.

I had a bottle warmer but it seemed dangerous to me. It made everything waaaay too hot. So now we're just sticking with freezer bags with non-frozen milk (I usually refridgerate) in them and warm water.