Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Salicylic acid and breastfeeding

Default Salicylic acid and breastfeeding

I am a first time mom and wondering...

Does anyone know whether or not you can use this stuff (found in skin washes etc...for getting rid of problem skin) topically while breastfeeding? My doctor said it was a no-no when pregnant.

I need to use it, but won't if it interferes with breastfeeding.

Thanks!

Default Re: Salicylic acid and breastfeeding

I guess the percentage of the salicylic acid would make a difference, but I see no harm in using it as long as you are not ingesting it or putting it on your chest.
    here is a link I found:
    From http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/drug-in... :
    "There are no adequate studies in women for determining infant risk when using this medication during breastfeeding. Weigh the potential benefits against the potential risks before taking this medication while breastfeeding."

if you are unsure, it never hurts to check in with your dr. I use a skin treatment 2-3 times a week that is 2% salicylic acid.

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

Salicylic acid is related to aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) and while you can take aspirin when breastfeeding, it isn't the painkiller of choice due to the potential effects on the babies blood clotting and very small risk of Reyes Syndrome.

That said, I have no idea what amount, or if any, salicylic acid is absorbed via the skin to the blood stream.

I wondered the exact same thing a few months ago and decided to err on the side of caution and not use it. No one seemes to be able to give a clear answer.

This (non-LLL) resource contains some information that you might find helpful:
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/acne-meds.html

I was told that a facewash is generally ok, because you're washing it off right away. My face wash has 2% salicylic acid and I don't worry about it. I avoid creams with it because that sinks in (although I doubt that much can get into the bloodstream and to the milk).