Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zantac

Default Re: Zantac

our ped reccomended mylicon drops with every feed to help with the gas part of it all.

Depending on the swing you're using, it can actually cause the reflux to be worse adding extra pressure on the tummy. We bought a new bouncy chair just to have one that laid back more then what she had before. It was a wonderful $35 investment!

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    I gave him a dose this afternoon and his spitup was worse than ever. Although it didn't seem to pain him as much, it was high in quantity and frequent. Is this normal?
    It takes about 2 weeks for you to see the full effects of Zantac on your LO.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

Quote Originally Posted by MommyLuvsU View Post
    It takes about 2 weeks for you to see the full effects of Zantac on your LO.
    and sometimes it can take longer as well (our ped said up to 1 month), took about 2 weeks to see initial improvement for us, then it was like a "wonder drug" for a week, then it wasn't working as well any more. Could be that she out grew her dosage though...

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

We had better results with the "behaviour modification" (keeping upright 30 minutes after feds, elevate bed et cetera) We gave the meds a chance but stopped after a few weeks, maybe 2. It was torture on him, and me so we went the "natural" route. It was time consuming, but I had nothing else to do (but take care of a family and such )

He loved thesling and the reflux was the reason we wasn't layed flat or on the ground, really, for 5 months!

Good luck mama -it'll all work out
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Mason had very bad reflux/throwing up so violently that I used a blanket for a catchers mitt and it was comming out of his nose and was stuffy all the time (we also had OALD, OS, and he is sensitive to dairy). The Zantac did not help IMO, and when I told the pedi this he reminded me that it's not supposed to stop him from throwing up, but rather change what he is throwing up (the ph).

What ultimately happened was I changed my feeding position to the down under nursing hold, eliminated the dairy from my diet, slept with him on my chest, and when I was not holding/wearing him, he would sleep on the AR pillow. We also did more frequent (shorter) feeds so that it would be easier to digest.

Keep in mind that as he grows the dosage needs to be changed-this was a huge problem for us as Mason had a giant leap in weight and the dosage we were giving him was wayyyyyy off. We stopped giving him the Zantac because we saw a relief with the things we tried above. Hope things get better