Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zantac

Default Zantac

So, Waylon spits up a lot and it seems to be uncomfortable for him. He has vomited projectile like a couple times and it really upsets him. He is also very very gassy--its loud and it always wakes him up screaming. The NP recommended zantac--just wondering what other mothers thought about this.

BTW--I am sorry I seem to be asking more questions than I am answering these days. I try to peak in and offer support when I can...just seems that I don't have enough time.

Haylee wants "a turn":

v vtvtdddddtvtv ttvt

haylee

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Default Re: Zantac

Erin
    I can tell you our experience. I had read that Zantac is really yucky tasting (Mint!). My ped chose not to prescribe it to D because she has seen it cause headaches (or what she thought were headaches) in babies taking it.

Instead of Zantac she prescribed Pepcid. When that didn't work we went to a stronger med (a PPI): Prilosec. I wanted him medicated through the 4 month peak of reflux. We had tried every other route (homeopathic, chiropractic, cranial osteopathy.)

From what I've seen, it totally depends on the baby. Daniel was not a puker, he was a silent refluxer. We found it greatly helped to keep him elevated, burp him often, get that gas out by pumping his legs, etc (he is still a super-farter)

Lyn
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Zantac worked like magic for my son. I really resisted it, I hated the thought of medicating him every day, but when I finally caved, he was like a whole new baby - actually slept for more then twenty minutes at a time, he was a lot more relaxed and contented. I really regretted not starting it earlier. And he outgrew it when it was about a year old. The only hitch is that you have to keep increasing the dose as he gets bigger, and I could tell when it was time because he'd start spitting up and crying more and more.
    Melissa
    Mom to Jessica (2/7/03) breastfed for 8 months
    Sam (7/6/06) breastfed for three years, five months, two weeks and three days (not that I was counting or anything :-)
    Julianna (4/29/10) struggled thru nursing strike, nipple confusion, thrush, multiple cracks and fissures, a staph infection and then another bout of thrush, but happily nursing away
    www.cohenfamily-melissa.blogspot.com

Jasmine is on Zantac, at first it worked really well (after the inital 2 weeks), then it quit working again. It is minty, so not plesant to give to babies at all! I'm going to be seeing about getting her on something different, but Zantac seems to be the first course of action as far as meds go.

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

we ended up getting zantac for james, i don't remember exactly when. it worked great for a while and then he just seemed to not need it anymore. we only had to get one scripts worth! we also elevated his crib and if he was sleeping with us we propped him slightly with a flattened out pillow. hth
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

Worked great for Thomas, he was on it for a while...It does taste yucky, you can have them flavor it or just give it really really slow...It takes a while to work so you have to give it everyday for about 2 weeks or so to see results. Like I said worked great for us
    BTW - totally off topic, I have been meaning to pm you, have you heard from Annie, she has not updated her blog all summer, sent her an email to no avail??

Zantac and reflux meds are one of those things that you just have to try for a few weeks to see if they help your LO. They take awhile to build up in the baby's system and start working really well.

We've had wonderful experience w/Zantac as Logan is a silent refluxer. The only drawbacks are that it tastes really bad (he's used to it now) and you have to keep adjusting the dose according to weight.

It really made my son a much happier person and turns out that his 'colic' was really reflux and I'm okay with him taking the medication.
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

My DD had some side effects of taking zantac.She was very gassy and uncomfortable.After giving the medication for couple of days I decided thats not what we wanted.I tried to keep her upright and elevated her crib.It really reduced some of the problems. But I think it will take atleast 2 weeks for medication to take effect.If that does'nt work you can try prilosec.Try all the natural ways of treating reflux before starting medication.

Thanks
    Mangai

Natural ways of treating reflux? He has yet to sleep a night in a cry, and he sleeps either on my chest semi-reclined in the recliner, in his swing, or with me in bed, on my arm, so he is upright. We burp a lot, but that doesn't seem to make a difference at all. I would love to hear some natural methods.

I gave him a dose this afternoon and his spitup was worse than ever. Although it didn't seem to pain him as much, it was high in quantity and frequent. Is this normal?

He's really a pretty "good" baby. He doesn't like sleep much, but I think the burping and farting make him wake up a lot. Poor little man!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Daniel was so similar as a newborn! He barely slept, and he farted ALL the time. Not sure if the gas is reflux-related. But it sure makes them mad!! Infant massage can help get those gas bubbles out.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)