Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Length of breastfeeding

Smile Length of breastfeeding

How long and how often do you breastfeed? My baby is 10 weeks old and she breastfeeds for about 10 minutes on each side, sometimes she'll only take 1 side though. Is this normal? Should I try to encourage her to feed longer? Also in the evenings she seems to want to eat every 1-2 hours until she finally goes to sleep at night around 10:30ish pm. Do other babies do this too? Does this mean that my supply is lower at night than during the day? Anything I can do about it?
    First-time mommy to Danielle 8/16/07
    Wife to Mike 9/29/01

Jack'sMum is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Length of breastfeeding

She knows how much she needs. Just follow her cues and she'll tell you when she's had enough or if she's still hungry. You cannot really encourage a baby to BF more than they want to.

The evening cluster feeding is very common (I used to sit on the sofa with DS on one boob or the other from about 4pm until he went to sleep about 10pm). Have a look at: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

Sounds like you're doing a great job. You don't need to change a thing!

My DD (4 mo) only BF for about 10 min on one side and then she's done. Been doing that since she was born. It can also depend on the power of their suck and how effeciently their latch and suck is. The evening cluster feeding. That's-I think-just your LO getting tanked up with a full belly for night time (my DD did that too.)

Hi

There are a few babies that are satisfied off one breast alone.

10 minutes sounds reasonable for a 10 week old baby.

Generally women produce more breastmilk in the morning due to being well rested at night - whereas in the evening their supply diminishes as they have been running around all day. This is quite normal.

This is the reason for pumping in the morning.