Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nevaeh still not gaining well went to LC

Default Re: Nevaeh still not gaining well went to LC

Anyways I need to get going I hae some house cleaning to do yet. I am using the library computer since I don't have one. I hope to hear from you all later.

Kandise and Nevaeh

Jentut-Thanks for the info about the Depo. I didn't realize it was progesterone only.

Navaehsmommy-Hopefully the nurse will be able to help you with the sore nipple. That sounds excruciating. You said she took just under 3 oz. at a feeding with the LC. What are her nursing patterns like--how many times does she typically nurse in 24 hours? I agree with the PP's, maybe try decreasing/eliminating the supplements and see how she does for awhile.

Hi again!

Well the nurse and I think that somewhere along the line she developed an abnormal suck. I dunno how but she said it looks like to her that she isn't doing the suck pause thing in the jaw if this makes sense. So I was told to bottle feed her only with formula or expressed milk. I am taking reglan, fenugreek, alfalfa and milk thistle. I am supposed to exclusively pump to get my supply up. I am pumping every two hours for 10 min with a latcina medela pump. Ummm...The nurse is coming back on monday to see how things are going. I am able to get an ounce out of each side at each pumping, A little more if I wait 2 and a half hours. Let me know if anyone has any more suggestions.

Kandise and Nevaeh

I don't think the bottle feeding is going to help your situation. I would continue to b/f and then supplement afterwards (with your bm if possible). Does she think you have a low supply? Because if that is the case, the BEST way of increasing that is to have baby b/f every 2 hours instead of pumping every two hours.
    My ds is 5 mo old-he weighed 7lb 7oz when he was born. At 2.5 mo he stopped gaining weight like "he should". He is a little over 12 lbs now, but he is doing all age appropriate things. When they thought my supply was low I was told by a LC to feed baby every two hours and pump afterwards with a combination of fenugreek.
    All I can tell you is to do what you think if best for your lo. I was not going to give up, no matter how difficult it got. I quit listening to everyone else around me and started doing what felt right as his mother. Now that I am not stressing about his weight, he seems to be less fussy during the day and enjoys the nursing times we have together.
    I really hope things get better. Just listen to what your mother instinct is telling you.