Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: just wondering

Default just wondering

i was bf my d in public and even that i was in a hospital waiting room all covered up by her blanket you could not see anything and i swear i offended this older couple cus they got up and moved across the room i dont know why last night i went to a party at my moms work and the same thing happened i was getting dirty looks and disgusted looks from people like you should not do that but i love bf my daughter the only place i feel comfe in public is at my church all the women support bfing but i was just wondering does this happen to any of you

Default Re: just wondering

It does occasionally. I try to ignore it. My MIL refused to sit near me when I bfed my lo at the zoo and I just laughed at her. Try not to let other people's negativity affect what you know is best for you and your baby. If you want to read more of other moms' experiences and some good responses you can give people when they give you a hard time you can check out the Dealing with Critisism or Nursing in Public threads (further down on the front page).

http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay.php?f=34

http://forums.llli.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33

It's great you feel supported in your church though. It's nice to have a support system there when you need it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I think sometimes people move away b/c they are uncomfortable...but thats ok, let them move away. Other people may feel like they are being considerate to give you some space...it is nice to have a little room and not have someone in a seat right next to you. I NIP, but being on the other side can be a strange feeling too. I was at a group meeting where a lady took off her shirt to bf, right in the center of the room, and I kept looking at her, then feeling weird like I was invading her privacy so I tried to avoid looking at her...but I guess she didn't care or she wouldn't have taken off her shirt. You're not doing anything wrong, in fact you're doing a great job taking care of your LO!
    Married to my best friend since 2001 , Proud mom of my baby girl Ella 6/19/07

"A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world." John 16:21

The older couple may have just been uncomfortable and moved to give you privacy. My dad would always break out a magazine or something when I was breastfeeding and that is after being around his grandchildren being bf for 10 years! He won't look at me if I'm nursing which I think is kind of funny since you can't see anything.

I had to BF my LO at the visitation with her dad (at McDonalds) and he turned around and would not face me and looked extremly mad! He did not want me to BF in the first place. But in public i really dont have and problems except for teenagers giving me funny looks.

I actually had the most lovely thing happen today! I had taken my 3 year old, and of course DS, to our local soft play centre, with a friend and her toddler. We are now able to NIP again after long nursing strike, and I was discreetly feeding DS when a passing mum said "What a beautiful baby", stroking his head and not realising until that moment that he was nursing!! Then she said "and good for you, well done" and just put her hand on my shoulder. There are too many people around our area who would frown at the public BF of a 6 month old, so it was refreshing!!!
    So, although it makes some people uncomfortable (hell, I don't care now, I'm just glad we CAN NIP after our probs!), lots of people support us.
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

I had a different experience 2 weeks ago when I was travelling with DH and DD. We had stopped at a mall to get something to eat and my LO was due to BF. So we found a table in the corner and we covered up with my little wrap and started to feed her. My husband even helped to "block the view" from other diners as we got ready to BF. Now, the place wasn't crowded at all and my LO was well behaved throughout her feeding and ours. A couple who was dining (on the other side of the restaurant) and had finished was walking out and the woman had stopped to take a quick peek at my daughter as she sat in her stroller playing. She was very nice and said "It is so nice to see that you are nursing in public! You don't see that very much. Back in my day it was practically forbidden!" Now she wasn't very old...maybe in her 50's. It just felt so good. I just felt so empowered and full of . It really just made my day! :tumbsup

i know so will support but alot dont and maybe it bothers me so much is that i am proud to be bf and if i saw another mom bf i would be proud of her cause bf is sometimes hard to do and there are alot of moms out there that dont bf
    Last edited by hollymomof3; October 25th, 2007 at 04:10 PM. Reason: hit wrong button