Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: baby refusing solids--reverse weaning?

Default Re: Supply down - Introduced Sollids ?

May I jump in on this thread? I have a concern along similar lines as the question posted here, and need some advice about supply and demand.

My 8 mo son was exclusively breastfed for 6 mos then gradually weaned down to partial BF (wake, bedtime, and nighttime) with formula bottles for other feedings. From 4.5 mos age he was also taking in solids and liked everything that was offered. Up until one week ago, he readily took B-milk, Formula, bottles or breast, and solid feedings, no matter if warmed, cool, whatever flavor, etc. Now he is boycotting all solid foods from me, and isn't too happy about the bottles, though he takes them because he has no other choice. My supply is way down since we have been doing only 2x a day BF, and now it seems to be lessening still. He has two teeth, and didn't refuse food when either came in. He is not ill. He is alert and happy, and here's the kicker, he takes solids just fine from his sitter (1-2 times a week), refuses it only from me all of a sudden, and is begging to nurse a lot more.

Is he trying to reverse the weaning process for some reason? Is he anxious now that my supply is way way down and he is trying to get it back up? For what other reason could he be regressing and what do I do about it?

I'll post a question on the weaning forum too.

Thanks
    Eve

Default Re: baby refusing solids--reverse weaning?

Hi Eve,

I created a new thread for you in the weaning forum. I hope you will get more replies this way.

Tiana

maybe just a growth spurt.. they are funny little things, it would be neat if they could tell you whats going on.

Personally, I would not call this regressing.

You supply can be brought up if you would like to do this. Super simple - nurse frequently. On demand. Offer frequently. Your goal doesn't have to be exclusive bfing. Maybe you would continue to use formula when you are away, but bf at home?

Breastfeeding isn't simply about nutrition, but about nurturing. I think he is telling you he meeds something. Whether it is the sucking, skin-to-skin, nutrition, attention... I'm not going to speculate.

Know that you can build your milk supply and give him what he is needing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanne View Post
    Personally, I would not call this regressing.

You supply can be brought up if you would like to do this. Super simple - nurse frequently. On demand. Offer frequently. Your goal doesn't have to be exclusive bfing. Maybe you would continue to use formula when you are away, but bf at home?

Breastfeeding isn't simply about nutrition, but about nurturing. I think he is telling you he meeds something. Whether it is the sucking, skin-to-skin, nutrition, attention... I'm not going to speculate.

Know that you can build your milk supply and give him what he is needing.

I agree with the above. If you can just let it happen. I think whatever is is thats going on he is requesting some more mamma time, So if you can give it to him ya know. Welcome btw!
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23

Thanks everybody!
    I kinda figured it was psychological, not physical. For why I don't know - something is going on in that cute little red head of his. I try to give him as much momma time as he seems to need. But alas, I am drying up regardless of how much he tries to nurse me. We had been down to only two BF a day and I think the body just said, oops so sorry we're done now. He gets a little snack at each of the feedings, and I have to supp with bottle. If he wants to snack during the day for comfort I let him, but when he doesn't get anything he quits. He is just ducky with having a bottle, he can still cuddle and look up at me with those big blue eyes. Only thing is when he wants it he wants it N-O-W, warming it up is new to both of us
    I just wish he didn't lose all the great ground we made with solid food skills. May have to start over.

Eve

just a wondering are you interested in increasing your supply? There are tons of moms on here who can help. The more he is on the more milk will be made.
    My little May baby just turned THE BIG ONE!
    Formally known as kaykate23