Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: in preparation for weaning

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default in preparation for weaning

I *think* I want to wean my LO (currently 8 months old) when she turns 1 (due to work). She eats maybe 1 meal and 1 snack of solids per day, but mostly nurses 6-8 times per day.

The problem I have is she's never taken a bottle. Should I be trying to get her used to a sippy cup or a cup with a straw NOW so that weaning will be easier? Should I put expressed breast milk in it or water? Any tips on teaching LO to drink from the sippy or cup w/ straw?

Default Re: in preparation for weaning

I'd go straight to a sippy or straw cup. We started using one at about 8 months and dd loves it. You could put whatever you wanted in it. At that age, we gave a cup of half juice/half water once a day. Does she like solid foods? By a year, she can be taking 3 meals a day.

You don't have to totally wean even if you want to stop pumping. I nurse when I get home from work, at bed time, first thing in the morning, every day and then at other times (nap time when I'm home, when she's fussy, in the middle of the night, when she's been sick) occassionally, and haven't had any trouble. I haven't pumped in months. It's a lot more doable than nursing 8-12x a day but just as important for immunity and attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by zoewmu View Post
    I'd go straight to a sippy or straw cup. We started using one at about 8 months and dd loves it. You could put whatever you wanted in it. At that age, we gave a cup of half juice/half water once a day. Does she like solid foods? By a year, she can be taking 3 meals a day.

You don't have to totally wean even if you want to stop pumping. I nurse when I get home from work, at bed time, first thing in the morning, every day and then at other times (nap time when I'm home, when she's fussy, in the middle of the night, when she's been sick) occassionally, and haven't had any trouble. I haven't pumped in months. It's a lot more doable than nursing 8-12x a day but just as important for immunity and attachment.
    This sounds exactly like what I would like to start doing when I go back to work in the next month or so and dd is a year. Have you noticed any supply issues?

Quote Originally Posted by merekemp View Post
    This sounds exactly like what I would like to start doing when I go back to work in the next month or so and dd is a year. Have you noticed any supply issues?
    Not really. I'm sure I'm not producing enough to be her sole source of nutrition, but I have enough that she's satisfied with what she gets at whatever time of day she decides she wants it.