Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Matthew is coming home soon!

Default Matthew is coming home soon!

Matthew is now 6 1/2 weeks old and we are hoping he will be leaving the NICU very soon. The doctor said to be ready to possibley bring him home one day this week!! Right now he is being bed bottles of expressed milk when I am not there and nursing when I am. And he is off of the nipple shield and nursing directly. I am so proud of my little man - and proud of myself for sticking with it. When he was born at 29 weeks I never thought we'd make it this far with breastfeeding. But now he has gained over 2 pounds from my milk and is almost 5 1/2 pounds - he is even starting to outgrow his preemie clothes. I was never able to nurse my daughter who was also premature - I pumped for three months but whenever I tried to latch her on she acted like I was torturing her. Little Matthew loves it though. It is so obvious he prefers me to the bottle and I love to watch him as he settles down to nurse. I'm hoping to get him completely on the breast soon after he comes home- with maybe a bottle of expressed milk here and there. I can't believe he will be here soon - we installed the car seat tonight!!

Default Re: Matthew is coming home soon!

Congratulations! I'm so happy that your big guy is doing so well! I know you can't wait to have him home. How exciting!

That's wonderful and inspiring news! I hope all continues to go well and that you all have so much joy in this miracle. Keep us posted! Good for you and all your efforts! We'll be keeping good thoughts!
    Jsmom

I have goosebumps. What an inspiration!!
    Mother to Emily June, b. Sept 18, 2005 and Lucy Quinn, b. 1/20/2012

“Buy the ticket, take the ride."
    Hunter S. Thompson

Excitement on the Side: Who doesn't love a confident woman with long boobs...

Well he has had a few setbacks and won't be coming home this week It is getting discouraging to me b/c he is already 7 weeks old and I would have been 36 weeks pregnant. He is doing well though - he is just still having some feeding issues. He nurses well but when I am gone he has bottles and he doesn't finish them and chokes a lot. He rarely chokes while nursing but since he has never done that exclusively we can't be sure he is eating enough to gain weight on just that. My dh had off all last week so I spent lots of time there feeding him and now he has come to dislike his bottles. Which I figure its better that than the other way around. It makes it hard though b/c my husband had to go back to work this week which means during the day I have to stay home and care for my toddler and I can only visit Matthew at night. I am staying there all night tonight though so I can get lots of feedings in.

Keep your fingers crossed he can come home soon - we are more than ready for him!! And while I am worried of course my gut instinct tells me once I can get him home and jus tnurse him when he needs it he will do fine.

Sorry about the setbacks. It sounds like he's a born nurser, though, so I hope that keeps going smoothly. He and the rest of your family are in the thoughts and prayers of all of us here. Hang in there, I'm sure it won't be long now!

We are all pulling for you and keeping good thoughts....hang in there....good luck and keep us posted. Hugs to you and yours!
    Jsmom
    ps....we spent 2 days in the NICU when J had to have emergency surgery as a newborn. we were the luckiest ones in the place as our baby was born at 37 weeks, etc. - but I'll never forget it, nor will I forget the strength of the families there. good wishes to all of you.

Your little champ is growing, and *YOU* are responsible! Go, go, go!

It sounds like we had similar NICU experiences. My ds just came home on Friday after 5 and a half weeks, 36 weeks gestational age exactly. He was eating from the bottle pretty well when he was released, but it usually looked like he was being tortured as he was being fed - sputtering, grimacing, turning all different shades of red as the milk filled his mouth. And to get him to finish the feed a lot of times we had to shove the bottle in his mouth and hold it in there, which was torture to me. But we wanted him home so we did what we needed to do. I also have a toddler at home so I can relate to your situation there, too. I didn't get much support BFing in the hospital, but I figured I'd work on it with him more when we got him home. He's doing really well with it considering we've really only had a week to work on it. We are continuing to supplement him at home until the pediatrician says we can switch to BFing exclusively, and he says he thinks we'll be there in the next two week (to be fair, at our first visit on Tuesday ds had not gotten the hang of latching on yet). Anyway, we switched to the Avent newborn nipples instead of the crummy disposable Nuk nipples that they used in the hospital. They flow MUCH too quickly, which is why ds always gagged on them. The Avent nipples don't even leak when you turn the bottle upside down, unlike the disposable Nuks which sometimes poured out. I don't know what you're using at the hospital, but DH learned a trick from one of the nurses when he was there - turn the bottle upside down and if the flow is too fast, get another nipple. She said that the quality of the disposable nipples varied a great deal. I'll be thinking of you the next few days!!!!