Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Daughter not gaining weight

Unhappy Daughter not gaining weight

Hello!My Daughter was born at 36 weeks, but the hospital has her at 31 weeks.She has not gained any weight for the last 2 months.The first month she did gain in length though.Her head is also still growing.The Neonatologist that I saw says that I need to supplement her with formula after I have breast fed her after every meal.Other than the fact that she has not gained she is acting like a regular 6 month old would be, she is always happy after she is done nursing.I have tried twice since we got back from that appt to get her to take a bottle, but she refuses, I even tried giving her some in a medicine dropper but just spits it out.I know that if she was hungry she would eat from the bottle because she has before.So its not that she doesn't like the bottle or the formula as far as I could say.I've been noticing that within the last month and a half at least she is always gnawing on her hands and is a bit cranky in the evenings.He said that teething would not have an effect on her weight.But she has been acting funny at the breast by latching on and off repeatedly at least until my let down occurs.So could it hurt her to nurse?Or is she impatient? She weighs 10lb 7 oz and is 24 inches.Has any one had this problem?Nothing in my diet or life has changed.I just want her to start gaining some weight!!!

Default Re: Daughter not gaining weight

My little cousin was born early and she was a very small baby at 18 months she was still rear facing on a carrier not a regular car seat, she's a very healthy baby and develop all fine. She was exclusively on BM since the day she was born.

Your bm is giving your baby everything she needs.
    if she doesnt want the formula, trust her on that one.
    do you feed on demand?
    dont forget, babies grow in spurts. could be she just got a bit taller and when the growth spurt ends she will go for a little weight gain.
    her fussiness does sound like teething.
    In general, if she seems fine in all other areas, dont worry too much. just keep giving her ebm on demand.

Thanks! The Neonatologist guy said that it was silly to blame teething on her slow weight gain.She did gain in length the first month, and I think her head grew in size this last time.He said it was a serious issue and that she needed to start packing on more weight.So that is why I am worried.She is only 10lbs 7 oz and 24 inches long and she is 6 months old.What is a good way to increase your supply?She has been acting funny on my one side and for some reason doesn't want to eat from that side even though there is milk.Should I feed her more than every three hours?And lastly does the amount that I eat ( like do I have to eat tons and tons ) to have a good milk supply?Thanks ladies, I was really getting frustrated that she wouldn't eat from the bottle because I felt like I was starving her, according to the doctor. Yes I demand feed her.I usually feed her when she gets up and before I put her back to bed which is usually only two hours.She does sleep usually for 3 hours at a time and anywhere from 4 to 7 hrs at night.But lately it has been 4 to 5 hrs.
    Last edited by Kylee3; June 23rd, 2006 at 11:05 AM.

((hugs))

obviously you are worried about your baby.
    Have you talked to a LC about this?

I'm no expert mind you but i'll just say what i'm thinking right now. Now why did they list her at 31 wks at the hospital and you say she's 36 wks? thats a big discrepancy. If she was indeed born at 31 wks, she'd be 2 months premature and prematurity makes a big difference on weight gain. Most preemies really gain very slowly. It took awhile for mine to gain weight, she did but slowly. Now when my preemie was around 4 months (for her adjusted age) she was only around 10 lbs, so that not bad comparing to yours. But how much did she weigh when she was born? How many wet/poopy diapers? I really think you would benefit from talking to a LC in person to make sure your bf is going well.