Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cows milk vs others

Default cows milk vs others

My baby boy is almost 11 mos old and I believe has been very disinterested in nursing during the day for about 1-1.5 months. I can get him to nurse when he's just drifted off to sleep,, so probably twice during the day, once before bed, and then usually a couple times at night. I would have liked to cut out the night time feedings but am afraid that he need the nutirents. He is a good eater, 3 meals a day.. some snacks (I think I;m going to start giving himmore of those) and drinks from a sippy cup or straw (prefers). My question is what I should give him instead of the breast milk when I start to wean. Cows milk? soy? Rice? which has the best bang for the buck so to speak, do they all have the calcium he'll need? I don't predict weaning to be to hard (during the day) since I basically have to trick him into nursing now!
    I just want to be sure he is getting enough calories. He drinks water now and loves it,, doesn't really get any juice,, I don't see the need,,he's thriving oitherwise, already walking.
    thanks

Default Re: cows milk vs others

Hello there! Here is some information regarding different kinds of milk:

Cow's Milk. The most popular, the most recommended by doctors when baby gets old enough to drink it. One huge drawback however is that many people have sensitivities and allergies to cow's milk and related products.

Soy Milk. Sometimes good alternative to cow's milk, however it is lower in fat and generally not recommended for babies and toddlers.

Rice Milk. Many resort to this if they have reactions to both cow and soy products. As far as nutritional value goes, I know very little about it.

Goat Milk. Easier to digest, closest in chemical composition to human milk, a little higher in fat than cow's milk. It is RARE that anyone is allergic to goat's milk. Of all the choices listed here, goat's milk is the most overlooked. I would give it a try!

While you decide on a new milk, I suggest continuing to breastfeed. Breast milk NEVER loses its nutritional value and benefits, and you can always be assured it won't make your child sick.

All "milks" have enough calcuim, it is more a question of fat and protien content as well as alergy and other dietary concerns.

Cow's milk: Easy to find in stores, and probably the cheapest option (besides human milk, of course! ) Whole milk (full fat) recomeded for weaned todlers until at least 2 years of age.

Soy milk: Much lower in fat, and pretty much just as high a risk of alergies as cow's milk. Some concern over its not beeing fermented soy and thus being dangerious (I didn't really understand the article I read, but it did worry me). A source of protein. Not generally recomended for todlers until they are at least 2 yo.

Rice milk: NOT a source of protein or fat. Pretty much hypoalergenic. Not generally recomended for todlers until they are at least 2 yo.

Goats milk: Has plenty of fat and protein. Those who are already alergic to cow's milk have a very high chance (I think it was 80-90%) of also developing an alergy to goat's milk. Has a much stronger taste.

So long as your baby is still nursing at least 3-4 times in 24 hours, he does not need any other source of fat, protein, or calcium as he is getting all he needs from your milk. Weaned todlers should not consume more than 16-24 oz of milk in 24 hours, as too much dairy can interfere with iron absorption. Cheese and yogurt count as part of milk intake.

thanks for all the info. we'll probably try organic cows milk first and from there. What is your take(s) on juice?
    I really don't give him any right now, I feel it is empty calories.

I know that if you are going to introduce cow's milk, they recommend that you give homogenized (4%) until they are 2 yrs old.

Deb

We've done rice, soy, and cow's milk for my son at different times. I'll give him rice milk to drink here and there, instead of water. I always use the enriched kind. DS hates water, so for just a quick drink, I think rice milk is great. Plus, it's sweet like breastmilk. We originally weaned from bottles of EBM to sippy cups of soy milk. The enriched soy milk is also, IMO, sweeter like BM, and has just a little less protein (1% I think) than cow's milk. DS now gets cow's milk mostly. It took some getting used to for DS because of the taste I think. But it's the most readily available when we're out and about, it's easier at daycare, and it's cheaper.
    So, I still give DS vanilla flavored enriched soy milk as a treat now and then, enriched rice milk here and there, but he gets cow's milk with every meal. (plus he still nurses 3 or 4 times a day). I think they all have merit for different things.
    DS does not like water. We rarely give juice- I also think it's empty calories and I would much rather have him ingest something with the right fats and nutrients than sugary juice. So instead of juice, I prefer to give rice or soy milk. HTH.

Juice is something I personally like to drink, but ds only ever gets really small sips of mine. Pretty much everything I have read says it's not good for babies and small children. The main thing for me is that he loves to drink water, so why risk messing that up?