Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sweet breath? long-sorry

Default Sweet breath? long-sorry

My baby is 6 1/2 weeks old. Is he supposed to have sweet smelling breath? I nursed my first child for 2 years, it was a long time ago, but I just don't remember her breath smelling very sweet.
    This baby is not gaining weight well. We are pretty sure it is the dairy in my diet so I am trying very hard to not let anything get past me.
    At 3 weeks, his poop changed from yellow seedy to green. And he started to look thinned during that week too. He also started pooping with every diaper- going through about 15-20 a day. His family doctor was not concerned, said it was normal even though he was still only 7 pounds 5.5 oz. ( he was 7 pounds 6 oz. at birth, 6.12 at release and 6.14 1/2 at 6 days)
    After eliminating dairy in the obvious forms his poop changed back to yellow and he was able to gain 7 oz. in 10 days.
    Now though I have not had any obvious dairy for quite some time, and even trying to not let any get past in any form, but we are not having the same luck of his poop going back to always yellow. We will get an occasional yellow but mostly green,altho nowhere near as frequent as before.
    Anyways, is his breath supposed to be sweet smelling? Or is that a "symptom" I should bring up to his doctor?
    His father and his older brother also had "formula issues" as infants/toddlers, but were never diagnosed with anything.
    Oh, also he has never had a growing spurt of constant nursing or even more frequent nursing. I thought he should have had his second one by now?
    He is incredibly alert and smiley. Not a fussy baby at all. Not even looking lumpy and miserable.
    His family doctor is not concerned, the lactation consultant said to keep doing what I'm doing ( eliminating dairy) but I worry if that's enough?

Default Re: Sweet breath? long-sorry

[QUOTE=AutumnDove]My baby is 6 1/2 weeks old. Is he supposed to have sweet smelling breath? I nursed my first child for 2 years, it was a long time ago, but I just don't remember her breath smelling very sweet.QUOTE]

Nobody knows if sweet breath is normal or not?

I've never heard of sweet smellling breath in babies. I know when people do the Atkins diet, their breath gets really bad because of the ketosis, when their body starts burning the fat. Could it be something similar?? Probably not the same thing, but it couldn't hurt to mention it to the dr. to make sure it isn't a symptom of something else. It'll ease your mind if nothing else. And I'd be willing to bet it isn't the weirdest thing anyone's ever brought up to the dr.!

I don't know about the sweet breath, but do know a bit about the green poo. Does he nurse a lot, every 30 minutes or so? Do you switch breasts each time?

It is possible that he is getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. Baby has to nurse one breast for a bit to get TO the hindmilk.

My 2 year-old and my 2 month old both had/have sweet smelling breath. In fact, my first's smelled so sweet, and you're all going to think I'm a freak here, but I LOVED smelling it. It was a smell I associated her infancy with...with some it's that clean after-tubby smell, with me it was her breath. My 2 month old's breath is sweet also, but nowhere near here sister's. Incidentally, with my 2 year old the scent started going South when solids other than cereal were introduced.

Anyway, just my two cents - but if you're worried about it I'd still check with your ped just in case.
    Cara

Quote Originally Posted by Dryad
    I don't know about the sweet breath, but do know a bit about the green poo. Does he nurse a lot, every 30 minutes or so? Do you switch breasts each time?

It is possible that he is getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. Baby has to nurse one breast for a bit to get TO the hindmilk.
    That's what the lactation consultant said too. I am currently nursing him on one side only for 2 feedings. Manually pumping the unused side. So far his poop is still green. Eliminating obvious dairy seemed to help, but eliminating all dairy to the extreme has not helped.
    I do not nurse him as frequently as your example ( never have) but weeks ago he would want to switch sides often. That has stopped though after his first week of issues.
    He goes in for another weight check this weekend and if his poop is not yellow again by Sunday, I'll start formula.

My first had the green poop issue I had to nurse on one side everytime for 3 hours then would nurse the other side for the next 3 hours that did the trick for me

Autumn Dove,
    Check out this site, lots of info and a good forum too. Do that before going to formula, PLEASE! Good luck to you!

Kelly Mom