Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding Frequency

Default Feeding Frequency

Hi,

I am mother of a 7 week old, who has been going 3-4 hours during the day between feedings and started sleeping 6-7 hours at a time during the night, waking once to feed at night.

How often does she need to feed at this age? She is healthy and gaining weight, but I do not want to risk my milk supply. I am working part time and pump at work and let her dictate how often at home.

How often should she be feeding. Is 6-7 times per 24 hours ok? Is my milk supply at risk?

Thanks!

New and Nervous mommy

Default Re: Feeding Frequency

How many wet and dirty diapers? That's usually the best answer. My dd is 11 wks and nurses 6 to 8 times every 24 hrs. Which is completely different than my first, who nursed 14 times a day.

As long as enough is coming out, you know enough is going in.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Default Re: Feeding Frequency

With my first baby, she slept 11 hours at night starting at 6 weeks (lucky me back then, not so lucky this time around!) That meant no night nursing and usually 5 feedings in the daytime. My milk adjusted fine and we nursed easily for a year. As long as baby seems content, is growing well, and peeing often I wouldn't worry! Your LO probably has a 2-month checkup coming up, and then you can ask to return for a wt check sooner than the 4 month appt if you're concerned.
    Good luck!