Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: growth spurt? a cold? teething? reflux meds not working? something else?

Question growth spurt? a cold? teething? reflux meds not working? something else?

DD2 is 3 months old (or 13 1/2 weeks). She's been on Zantac for almost a month for her reflux. Lately it seems like it's not working well anymore - and I don't think it ever fully worked in the first place. We have an appointment next week. She's been extremely fussy, went from 1 1/2 hr naps to 10-20 minute naps, arching again at times, drooling tons more then ever, occasional runny nose, and has recently taken to taking my nipple and chopping down with her gums. Used to be she's pull/arch back and "pop" off if I didn't catch her in time - now she's been breaking suction and gumming my nipples. It hurts a ton! I yelped out in pain the first time - though I tried not to. She does seem to think it's pretty funny - she'll laugh and smile, no matter what, if she gets a reaction or not.

Yesterday she went to my mom and dad's for about an hour and a half. She screamed the ENTIRE time. She wouldn't eat from the bottle, mom tried other things but she just wouldn't take her milk.

We're moving in a week - with how she's been I'm of no assistance in packing and unless things improve I won't be any help in the move itself either. If I knew what was causing it, I'd feel much better. She doesn't seem to have a fever - instead she sometimes feels like she's on the other side of things and a bit cool and "clammy" she hasn't spit up, and has only ever done that 3 times in her life. Today she pooped while DH was holding her - it was so runny it went straight out of her diaper, all over DH, the floor, everywhere. It was even on right (DH sometimes has a hard time getting the diapers on her properly). So, from your experiences, what could this be?

~*Allee*~

Damon 8/5/99 Heaven 7/24/01 Jasmine 7/20/07

@llli*emama is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: growth spurt? a cold? teething? reflux meds not working? something else?

Hmmm...my LO is almost 4 months old and a couple weeks ago, she started doing some of the same stuff - sleeping less, lots more crying. General changes in her patterns. I think that babies vision starts to increase at this time and I think they can get overstimulated easily. Not sure.

My LO also gets cool and clammy from time to time. I have always associated that with digestion. It seems to be the case, since your LO has had diarrhea.

Sorry not to be of much help but it does sound like it might be a developmental and physical growth spurt. Be on the look out for waking up more often at night as well. I hear that can happen at around the 4 mo. mark. Sleep regression is what it's called.

Best of luck!

Default Re: growth spurt? a cold? teething? reflux meds not working? something else?

Have you thought about OALD? I know I had this with my son and have it again with my dd who is 6 weeks old. With my son I didn't know what was causing his fussiness and the dr. put him on meds for reflux too, which didn't seem like they helped that much either. He seemed uncomfortable and would be fussy at the breast, sometimes refusing to eat. I also read that if you do have OALD that the baby will sometimes gum the nipple to try to stop the flow from milk coming out so fast. Maybe it would explain your dds behavior?? With OALD babies tend to poop more and it is green and frothy. Has she had any that were that way? Don't know if I helped any, if you think it might be OALD there are some great links I can get for you.

She isn't "gumming" at letdown, and my letdown isn't extremely powerful like it used to be. Used to be I'd spray everywhere, now during letdown it just drips. As far as waking more at night - she's not really waking more, just refusing sleeping until later on at night. She won't go down before 10:30pm anymore. She used to fall asleep around 9 or so.

I've had a constant headache from stress the last few days. One of those that tylonel and motrin can't get rid of. Maybe that's part of the overall fussiness. But I miss seeing my happy baby - the baby who would make me smile when I thought nothing could put a smile on my face. Her and I will be apart tonight, tomorrow night, and saturday night because I have to work - I feel awful leaving her knowing she's been super fussy and not seeming to feel well.

~*Allee*~

I think it's teething. My son started teething at about 3 months and his first tooth popped at 4 months.

Try Hylands teething tablets. They are homeopathic and work pretty well- they just dissolve under the tongue, my son loves them I think they taste good or something. Also, tylenol for really bad days or before bed on occasion is what we use as well.

Teething can cause loose stools too!

There are tons of teething rings and you can put pacis, etc. in the fridge (my baby refuses all of these, ha).

On a side note, we're also using zantac and about the time he started teething I thought his reflux was getting worse so we also went to the Dr. They had to double his reflux meds because he had grown so much, but now that I think back it was probably teething and not reflux.

It does get better. Logan is teething again very hard this week he's working on his 2nd bottom tooth and I have found just plain old distraction using toys and walks outside is the best thing when he's super cranky.

Sleep, well yeah that's the worst part.... I hope it goes back to normal after this tooth!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

We went through the same thing around 4 mo. Like PP they had outgrown their dosage of medicine. You may also want to talk to your ped. about prilosec or previcid. Although ped. don't typically like to prescribe them (per our GI dr), they work to block the acid instead of covering it. When we switched from zantac to prilosec it was like night and day (it took 2 weeks to kick in). Kids went from screaming 6-8 hrs a day to 1-2 at most.
    Nancy
    Mom to Elijah & Audrey 9/19/06
    Twin GERDlings

for 21 mo

Don't worry mama it will get better before you know it, it may be teething or even just a phase...It'll even out and you will have your happy baby back before you know it.

The changes in her behavior thankfully aren't what have me super stressed - but they are contributing. Her and I spent the morning in bed. She's happy and content being able to do that, but once I try to get anything done she reverts back to extreme fussiness. DH is stressing because I haven't been much help with packing and we have like 5 days until we move - and still way too much to do.

Tomorrow the older kids are out of school for confrences - hopefully they can help keep Jasmine entertained so I can help even more with packing. Granted that's about all they can do since all their toys (well not ALL but most) are packed and in the garage.

I hope that part of Jazzy's fussiness is because of our stress honestly - because then I know it'll be over with soon. But she just seems so miserable. Even with Mylicon and colic tabs she's having painful gas.... my poor baby!

~*Allee*~