Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Heeeelp!

Default Heeeelp!

Hi there,

My son is now 7 weeks old and has started spitting up his milk. He always seemed to bring some up in his throat as I could hear him kind of gargle. But now he is actually vomiting. He had gastro entiritis a cpl of wks ago and had bad diarrhea but that cleared up and his poo is the nice orangey yellow curdy type now. Last week his tummy was very hard and I was paranoid he had a blocked intestine so took him to A & E. (poor thing) Anyway, the doctor there suggested he has GERD and gave us gaviscon infant which I have been using to no real effect. Also, while trying to give it to my son he tends to choke on it so I am reluctant to give it to him. The spitting up does not seem to cause him pain but I can hear him gargling in his throat after feeds and at night I hear him nearly choking which scares me to death. He hates being put on his back during the day but at night will go sometimes 5 hours asleep only to wake and feed for 10 mins and then go back to sleep. In the day he wants to feed constantly unless I am out for a walk and then he sleeps. It is driving me to despair as I dont know if he is feeding for comfort to ease the pain in his throat or whether he is actually hungry or has wind. Feeding seems to help him have a BM and he does grunt, groan and scream when trying to pass wind or have a BM. I dont know if the screaming is pain from reflux or trapped wind. The last few days he has started squirming at the breast when feeding and then pull away only to want to feed again after about 5 minutes. He also arches his back when i lay him down to sleep during the day but not all the time. He will feed sometimes for a good hour and other times for only 5 minutes. Sometimes he gets into a frenzy, its as though he is starving although has just fed. My nipples are getting very sore now from the constant fussiness. I love him so much but I am so frustrated and dont know whether I can BF much longer. Please help. If he is crying or screaming he can be settled by feeding and the whole sequence starts over again. If it was reflux wouldnt he be inconsolable??

He is gaining weight fine and seems alert and happy otherwise.
    Last edited by beautifulfreak; June 2nd, 2006 at 05:15 PM.

Smile Re: Heeeelp!

I'm sorry you and your little one are having such a rough time.

The increased drinking sounds like he could be going through a growth spurt. It'll settle down soon. My sone drank constantly at that age. I thought I was going to nuts because he would nurse for an hour sometimes and want it again 20 minutes after. He still nurses about every 2 hours day and night.

As for the vomiting, my 7.5 mos old still vomits quite frequently. It's getting a bit better but I only recently just stopped wearing a receiving blanket over my shoulder. I still keep them piled all over the house in case he does. It's like he drinks more than his belly can hold or something. I just learned to live with it. My MIL is still afraid to hold him for atleast a half hour after he nurses and he still usually womits on her anyways. He tends not to do it at night because he is laying down and not wiggling so much.

The gas may be from something you are eating. Milk products seem to be a big problem for many nursing women.

Just know that we are here to support you and offer tips, suggestions, advice and information.

Keep up the good work. I'm sure you'll get many more postings with ideas about how to handle everything.

Deb

Default Re: Heeeelp!

Hang in there sweety. My first baby was really fussy. I know frustrating it can be.

With the problems you are describing, your breastmilk is the best option for your son. Try to keep his head above his bottom while feeding. Keep feedings short (5-10 min.) and frequent (but on demand), and possibly from the same breast repeatedly if you suspect oversupply could be contributing to the problem. (Check out some of the threads on oversupply to rule out.) Sometimes vomiting can happen from overfeeding. If you do have an oversupply, he might be full quicker than you think.

Follow his lead and trust that he is trying to tell you something. As difficult as it can be to determine what is the matter, take pride in knowing that you know him better than anyone else in this world. I know that right now feels like an eternity, but it goes by so fast. Hang in there.

Default Re: Heeeelp!

I meant to say also that when he gets hiccups it sounds as though there is stuff in his throat as the hiccups are quite noisy and wet sounding.

Thanks for the advice so far, I did suspect it may be oversupply as when i feed him he gulps a lot and his breathing is squeeky through his nose as though hes gasping for air.

Default Re: Heeeelp! Reflux?????????????????

I also want to add that my ds does not seem to be in pain from the spitup and mostly he swallows it back down, sometimes nearly choking on it. could it be silent reflux?

Default Re: Heeeelp! Reflux?????????????????

Sorry to hear you've been having such a rough time!

I would suggest that if your son does have reflux, switching to formula could make it worse.
    If he doesnt seem to be suffering in other ways - he's happy and healthy in general, it's not a big worry.
    try to feed him in a more upright position, that can help. Spitting up is normal and doesnt usually mean there's any problem.