Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Growth Spurt Signs ...

Question Growth Spurt Signs ...

My baby just turned 3 months yesterday, and since today she's been acting different ... her naps went for 1 hour long to just 20 minutes, she's not necessarily eating more, she's just awake longer ( eventhough she slept sucking on my breast for an hour yesterday ). Suddenly she hates her swing and being swaddled, all my techniques to put her down for a nap are not working anymore ... is it a growth spurt?
    what are the signs?
    TIA!!!

Smile Re: Growth Spurt Signs ...

Hi there -

Wow I am having the same challenges!! My baby was born 7/18 so they are very close in age . . . she also has been nursing for much longer periods . . .although I'd have to say that about 80% of it is what I think is called "non-nutritive" or "comfort" nursing.

I will be very curious to find out who else replies and if this is the cause!!

Thanks!

Default Re: Growth Spurt Signs ...

Some babies start teething early. Have you seen any serious, driven, gumming behavior?

nop, she's not extra fussy or anything but she's just different ... mainly shorter naps, her routine is not the same, she's eating more often ( but not extremely ). I know there's supposed to be a growth spurt around the 3 month mark.

Hi BridgetJean,

I'm glad I'm not the only one going through this

It could be a growth spurt. Babies act different during the spurts. Or she could be changing in some way, getting ready to reach a milestone or something. It could also be that she's just being a baby! Babies are always changing things up on you. We've gone through so many different phases with sleeping. I'd say if you don't see a return to "normal" in a few days, she's probably just trying to keep you on your toes and you'll have to figure out new ways to help her sleep. But don't worry--by the time you get this figured out, she'll be up to something new!
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

Growth spurt times are approximately 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 9 weeks , 12 weeks 16 weeks ect.
    The nursing for longer periods with shorter spans between is call "cluster feeding" and is a sure sign of a growth spurt. You can expect an average time of around a week or so. Cluster feeding works to boost up your milk supply and is an important communication between your baby and your body. Baby removes more milk steadily and sends the signal to increase your supply. During a growth spurt babies can put on serious weight, grow in length (sometimes 2 inches in ten days ect) and girth. Another important feature to growth spurts is brain development.
    Hang in there, it's temporary!

Thanks ladies!

HI

Yes babies do go through growth spurts at around 3 months of age, and then again at around 4 months.

The signs you mentioned indicate a growth spurt, that's what my daughter was like as well, just not sleeping enough as she would normally, feeding more frequently and generally being fussy.

Hopefully it won't last too long.

One growth spurt sign I will never forget...
    At exactly eight weeks of age, we were visiting a friend who lives two hours away from home and that was the furthest we had been (longest car trip). I thought nothing of it when my DS slept the whole way. But when there, he was groggy, wouldn't BF on regular schedule, and slept slept slept...
    After the car ride home (during which he slept) he nursed a lot, then went to sleep for the night (!) I called my cousin in a panic (as she has a son only a couple months older) and she said it was normal sign for growth spurt.
    The next spurt I was prepared. He nursed like mad for a day or two then slept all the time for a day or two then everything was back to normal.
    Oy.