Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pressure to introduce solids at 4 mo

Default Pressure to introduce solids at 4 mo

Argh. My DS is one week shy of 4 mo, and I'm getting soooooooo much pressure to introduce solids. He's a big boy, 17 lbs, and healthy and happy as can be. He wakes up two to three times a night, every two to three hours, and I nurse him. He was sleeping up to six hours straight here and there. I think he's teething, and I'm his pacifier for now! But my husband, DS's pediatrician, my mother and anybody who cares to offer an opinion says I should start "real food" now because he's "obviously not getting enough" from me. DOUBLE ARGH! He weighs 17 lbs, he's "obviously" getting something from me!!!!!

While I don't really enjoy waking up all the time, I don't mind it. I did it for 14 months with my eldest son, and then, one day, BAM, he's down for the count as soon as his head hits the pillow! My baby is completely joyful nearly all the time (he IS a baby, afterall, prone to being cranky now and then), and I don't think he's ready for solids yet. This is causing a rift between husband and me, especially since the pediatrician reinforces his opinion. I see no reason for cereal at this point. DS is definitely NOT starving, and he's not suffering by any means. He, unfortunately, seems to nurse better at night. It is completely quiet in the house, and he has no distractions. During the day, he doesn't seem as interested.

I could give my husband everything in the world to read to help him see my point of view, but he would disregard it. He knows he's right as much as I know I'm right. I think my husband just wants his wife back, but we moms know things are going to be out of whack for a few months with a new baby in the house. It's not like I whine and complain about being tired or overwhelmed, etc. because I don't complain and I don't feel that way! From my point of view, he should be somewhat happy because he has little responsibility for DS . . . I tend to his needs 99.9% of the time. My husband is no slouch; we have two older children, and my husband entertains them and bathes them when he comes home from work so I can have a break.

Basically, I don't think this is about our baby. I think this is about regaining some normalcy in our routine. I'm sure some of you have come up against the same thing. I would appreciate your suggestions in smoothing it out until DS is REALLY ready for solids in a few months . . .

Default Re: Pressure to introduce solids at 4 mo

Yeish, your pedi sure doens't keep up to date on recent research or recomendations, does he? Times have changed and we now know it's better to wait until a baby is at least 6 mo to start solids. And solids don't make babies sleep through the night; ds ate solids for many months before he even started sleeping 5-6 hour stretches at about 12 mo.

I don't have any advice, really, on how to deal with your dh for now. Maybe just sit down with him and tell him clearly how you feel about the issue and make sure he hears and understands what you said. Then have him tell you clearly tell you how he feels, and be sure to let him know you heard and understood what he said. It probably won't solve the problem, but at least you'll both know the other one understands how you feel.

Maybe if you get another ped which is pro-bf or at least that follow the AAP suggestion on introducing solids your DH will drop the subject for a while. My DH is the kind of people that if somebody else (other than me) tells him something he'll be like -"oh, that's true" or "good idea"-; but if I'm the one saying so it will be ground for argument, he'll say something like -"you think you know everything" or "you always have to be right"-, as sad at it sounds that's the way it is, but when somebody else says so even though I already said it that's when something make sense.

Why don't you try to tell him that you understand his want for normalcy to resume in the household and that holding out for a couple of months before introducing solids is really not that bad? Sounds to me like your DS is doing very well on your milk alone that any kind of cereal is not necessarily going to be any better for him. I agree with pp that you might want to look into changing to a different pedia who is more pro BF. Good luck!

hi there. My dd started solids at 3 1/2mnth where as her brother didnt want anything to do with it at 6mnths. You will know when he is ready and enjoy the convienience of bf not to mention the benefits . Rmember it is your body if you told your hubby he wasnt allowed to eat cakes anymore cause u didnt want him too im sure he would have sumthing to say hehehe What m saying is that your baby is enjoying it so why take it away??

Just wanted to throw in another word of encouragement and let you know that mommy knows best! Stick to your gut! Sounds like your little one is happy and healthy and that your BM is the best thing for him. As mentioned previously solids do not automatically make a baby sleep through the night. Solids are just one more thing to deal with, cost more money, and it is medically more ideal to wait for allergy reasons, etc. Try going through the logic with everyone and maybe more support will come your way! Good luck. Justice started solids at 6 1/2 mos by the way.

Hello there. With regards to your doc and your husband, I would suggest gathering some info about how babies' tummies are not physically ready to handle solid foods until 6 months or later. I know you think your husband won't listen to you or care- but if he's the one who gets to stay up when your baby is screaming in pain from being fed foods he shouldn't have been given, he just might change his tune. And why are they so worried about your son's size? 17 lbs at 4 months is well above average. You can download and print the new growth chart's on the World Health Org. website.

You are the mother and you don't have to allow or agree to anything you don't feel is in your child's best interest. You might also want to remind your husband that your children come first right now, and he will "have his wife back" in due time...

http://www.who.int/childgrowth/en/