Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: let down pain??

Question let down pain??

does anyone else have pain in their breast when your milk lets down???
    is this normal?? (its not my nipples that hurt but the top of my breast)

Default Re: let down pain??

I usually just get a strong tingly (pins and needles) feeling, but I have occasionally felt a sort of deep, brief pain in the breast. I have heard other mamas say they feel this too sometimes. I'm no expert, but I think it's normal, especially if the pain goes away and is not excruciating or anything.
    I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I too had a very pressure filled/almost painful sensation with letdown. I had a strong letdown and I think it might have been from the large quantity of milk being pushed out. I always found it most painful when my milk would letdown between feedings and there was nothing being taken out. It has gotten better with time, though. (At some point after a year it got better--probably closer to 18 months.)

I too have some pain. As soon as my little one latches on and starts sucking it hurts, but thankfully the discomfort goes away during the feed. I've been told that this is normal and actually a good thing because it means that the baby is getting milk, which has been a major concern of mine since I started breastfeeding. Usually in the evening when my baby seems to want to feed more I massage my breasts before I let her latch on. Sometimes this helps.

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I have a tingly pain on the breast that my LO isn't feeding on after about 20-30 seconds into the feeding. The pain was much more intense the first 3-4 months, but now at 8 months, it's not so bad at all. I don't mind the pain b/c it makes me feel confident that the milk has letdown and LO is getting milk!

The intensity of the pain/sensations I feel depends on how full I am. I obviously have a stronger letdown with more milk in there. I get a tingly sensation in the breast I am not nursing on, then it spreads top both and becomes like a hot pain, under my arms and then down into the breastr, it does feel like milk is being pushed out!!
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

I have always felt burning on the top of my breasts during letdown. I guess it is normal. Hopefully it will get better.

Different women experience different sensations during letdown. Usually it goes away after a little while (about a month, I think? ). I used to get tingly- like when your foot falls asleep, but after a few weeks it got less and less until it stopped altogether.

When I had thrush I'd get a burning tingly sensation on the tips of my nipples when I'd letdown, but if it's in the tops of your breasts that's probably not what's going on with you.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I had an awfuls stining pain from let down from weeks 3-5 now its gone and im fine. I guess it was my body getting used to it.

I´ve had some sort of pain too.....when he latches on my left boob, my right boob hurts....but it´s not terrible pain....it used to be worse at the begining when I was leaking
    Karina, Neonatal Nurse, mother to Martin, born at 33 weeks 02/11/2007...
    I love ...... .....my baby loves it

I relactated....IT CAN BE DONE!!!

I also love
    Tried to