Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8 days and still on strike

Post 8 days and still on strike

I have as some of you know a 9 months old that is on a nursing strike. I have been pumping, drinking the tea, plenty of fluids and still no help. How long should I pump before I just give up that she is not coming back?

I have only been able to pump 1 ounce a day. Anyone else had this problem?

Default Re: 8 days and still on strike

Patrese,

What type of pump are you using? Are you pumping only, or are you also combining that with hand expression? How frequently are you pumping?

It's still possible that your baby will come back to the breast. Please don't give up hope just yet!

Have you read this page?
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/strike.html

What about the inspiring stories here?
    http://www.llli.org/NB/NBstrikes.html

Have you called your nearest LLL Leader for support? You can find a Leader by using the "Find Local Support" box at the top of this page.

Please keep us updated, Patrese, and do let us know if we can answer any specific questions. We're here for you!

Patrese, I send you .

My LO is not as old as yours (just coming up to 6 months), but he was on a nursing strike from 17 weeks until about 24 weeks. Some days he wouldn't nurse at all, some days I could nurse him when he was very sleepy. Even now, he is much better, but I have to know he is really hungry and ready to nurse or he just refuses and it becomes a stressful battle. He will only feed for a very short time, and when he's done he's done!!
    I really hope your LO comes back. Keep up all your trying to do. Is she nursing at all? At night? Is she still eating her solids?
    x
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

Does your baby nurse at night? My 10mo is a distractible baby and has not taken the breast when he's awake since he was 4mo, so I have been pumping for 6 months now . However he still wakes up 3-5x at night and these are the only times he would take the breast.

Is she distracted? Does she take the bottle with EBM? Is she fussy? How many times do you pump a day? Tell us a little bit more.. In the meantime, its only been 8 days, dont give up just yet. Try oatmeals, it has worked so well for me!

I am using a Ameda Elite pump since last Friday. She is eatting solids still. I am pumping what seems all the time. I have been trying to hand pump and it is not working. I am massaging, double pump, wait 10 minutes, then massage and single pump. I have been drinking the tea and taking milk thistle. I have not really tried to feed her in a day or so because she refuses so strongly. I don't want it to become a negative thing.

She is not taking to the sippy cup very well either. I have put the bottles away so that she doesn't see them and I am not tempted to take the simple way out.

I have not been able to let down with the pump yet. I am only getting about an ounce a day with pumping.

I am going to give it till Monday and see how my supply is by then. I just thought that someone could give me some advice on let down. Has anyone has success with pump letdown at this point. I have even had her in my lap while I pumped and it didn't really work.

I do have a 3 year old so I am pretty busy. I try to pump every hour. She won't nurse during the night also. Am I crazy for trying to continue. I feel as thou I am wishing for something that might not happen.

I just need an answer to what I should so. I don't want to give up if she is going to come back. I just don't know that I can save my supply if she does.

I have been in contact with 2 LLL leaders and took everything they say to heart and practice.

What do you mean by oatmeals? I guess I am not following. She will drink what I pump but wants it out of a bottle. That is the only way she will take it. Out of a sippy cup she will drink juice and water. She isn't a big fan of the sippy.

thanks for the material. Iwill read it over. Thanks for the help, I hope that it all works out well.

The reading was good info. thanks

Patrese you say you have had her on your lap whilst pumping... this may sound weird but it does work for me... I have to stimulate my nipple with thumb and forefinger as though DS is sucking pretty vigorously, and soon enough letdown seems to come.
    HTH
    Claire, Mum to Archie, 5 and Jack, almost 3! Number 3 on the way!

Just a quick note- I'm just the opposite. If I am pumping, I can get a letdown if I gently touch the breast around where the baby's hands would touch when nursing. Also try hand compression while pumping. Don't have the link handy, but it's on the LLL webiste and I think at kellymom.com as well.
    I'm hoping your LO turns around soon, and don't give up! You're doing great!