Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Yogurt = too much poop?

Default Yogurt = too much poop?

We've been feeding our 8 month old yogurt (Yo Baby) mixed with baby food once a day for over a week. He usually only poops once/twice a week and now he's pooped 3 times in the last 3 days.

Do you think we should give yogurt less often? Is the sugar in the yogurt causing the excessive pooping? The consistency varies between soft patty-like to thick peanut butter. Occasionally, it is more liquid like an exclusively breast fed baby.

Anyone else experience this?

Default Re: Yogurt = too much poop?

What baby food do you mix it with? Is it grains or fruit/veggies? It might be solid foods in general, not necessarily yogurt specifically, that's causing the increased number of poos.

Babies' guts can't absorb anything very well besides breastmilk. So a lot of moms notice the volume of poo will increase when they start solids. They get better at it metabolizing it, though, and poos slow down.

When I change my babies' diapers, I just realize how much of the solid food I'm giving them really isn't for nutritional purposes. It reminds me of how important my breastmilk still is for their development!

For what it's worth, my babies were having messy diapers 3 to 4 times PER DAY when they first started solids. And I have two!

We've been giving him butternut squash, corn, green peas, pears, bananas for solid food. He has been eating this for the last 2 months. The increase in poops didn't start until we started yogurt.

It also could be an issue with dairy - is this the first dairy baby has had?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Yes, it is the first dairy the baby has had. I thought issues with dairy would have shown up sooner.

It is the active cultures (probiotics) that can cause the increase in stool. They aid in the digestion of food, thus can increase the amount or change the consistancy of the stool. I liked to use the yogurt when my lo's poop was firm to soften it up- she would eat about half a container a day and it would keep her poo soft. I recommend it when mom's complian of constipation in their lo's.

I would try backing down the yogurt to every other day, or even less often depending on the results.

I second the PP about the probiotics, we have recently started a refrigerated live culture probiotic and since then my LO's poop quantity has increased, I read somewhere that if your baby has an overgrowth of yeast in their body the probiotics will "loosen up the crud" and sort of flush it out. Does your LO show any signs of intestinal turmoil or distress? Any sort of rash in the diaper area? If not I wouldn't worry too much.
    Mama to Evan Born February 1st 2007 Breastfeeding for a year...thinking of weaning
    Wife to my Best Friend KR