Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vitamin D

Default Re: Vitamin D

Quote Originally Posted by JManon View Post
    Ds was born in winter and here it is recommended for adults to get a supplement at least in the winter months so I gave them to DS. Once we got into the summer I slacked off them because we were outside all the time and he was getting more than enough sun.
    You're in Canada, right? We are pretty far north, but not that far north--southern Montana.

Sorry mamas...we are sooo busy here. Dh is working a lot, trying to pay for my maternity leave and get self-employed so I can stay at home . Waylon is super fussy in the evenings, which was my big computer time, so I only have time to peak in. I have been wanting to update, because I find so many things comical this second time around--even the fussing. I find that having had a high needs child the first go-round makes it a bit sad for the second, because any fussing he does seems like small beans. My cry-meter is askew as well, because I put up with so much of it with Haylee .

He has gained 2 lbs and 3 oz. since birth--he was 10, 8! He has a lot of happy times most days, but I think he has reflux issues. I need to start another thread, but Lyn, didn't Daniel have reflux? Our NP prescribed zantac today...thoughts from all you experts? I will try to get back to start another thread a bit later tonight...

Haylee is adjusting. She wants to touch and hug him all the time, but sometimes she is sneaky with pinches and hair pulling. She says she wants a hug and then squeezes super tight and looks at me like, "Whatcha gonna do?" Its funny, but I'm so tired of it.

She is way too smart for her own good. I know that for sure now!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    You're in Canada, right? We are pretty far north, but not that far north--southern Montana.

Sorry mamas...we are sooo busy here. Dh is working a lot, trying to pay for my maternity leave and get self-employed so I can stay at home . Waylon is super fussy in the evenings, which was my big computer time, so I only have time to peak in. I have been wanting to update, because I find so many things comical this second time around--even the fussing. I find that having had a high needs child the first go-round makes it a bit sad for the second, because any fussing he does seems like small beans. My cry-meter is askew as well, because I put up with so much of it with Haylee.

He has gained 2 lbs and 3 oz. since birth--he was 10, 8! He has a lot of happy times most days, but I think he has reflux issues. I need to start another thread, but Lyn, didn't Daniel have reflux? Our NP prescribed zantac today...thoughts from all you experts? I will try to get back to start another thread a bit later tonight...

Haylee is adjusting. She wants to touch and hug him all the time, but sometimes she is sneaky with pinches and hair pulling. She says she wants a hug and then squeezes super tight and looks at me like, "Whatcha gonna do?" Its funny, but I'm so tired of it.

She is way too smart for her own good. I know that for sure now!
    Erin, it's great to get an update!! DS did that with DD in the early months too-the "I love her just a little to much" act. We just kept showing him gentle touches and somehow he got over it, but now DD is a tough little girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy View Post
    Sounds like someone else I know.

Do you get much sun there? Will DS get 15 mins a day? If not you may consider it, but if he will get the sun then no reason, KWIM?
    I think the kellymom info says that an average of 15 mins per day is necessary (depending on skin color but that shouldn't affect Waylon), that the body actually stores Vit. D so that it doesn't have to be every day. I think the goal is a couple of hours a week total. You'd have to look at the link.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Information on vitamin D and rickets that will hopefully answer your direct questions.

Vitamin D Exclusively breastfed healthy, full-term infants from birth to six months who have adequate exposure to sunlight are not at risk for developing vitamin D deficiency or rickets. Rickets occurs because of a deficiency in sunlight exposure, not because of a deficiency in human milk.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/vitamin.html

Vitamin D deficiency occurs because of too little sunlight exposure, not because of a deficiency in human milk. Healthy full-term infants who are exclusively breastfed from birth to six months and who have adequate exposure to sunlight are not at risk for developing vitamin D deficiency or rickets. In addition, unless their mothers were vitamin D deficient during pregnancy, healthy, full-term infants are born with a supply of vitamin D that will last for two months in the absence of sun exposure. 13 In the presence of adequate sun exposure, fetal stores will last longer and can be augmented. Vitamin D produced via sun exposure, but not immediately needed, can be stored for later use.
    http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVAugSep03p75.html

There is no global consensus on how to prevent vitamin D deficiency or on how to screen for its presence among nurslings or their mothers.36, 37 In some countries, health agencies recommend supplementing all breastfed infants (universal supplementation), such as the AAP in the United States (19–71° N), the Ministry of Social Welfare (Socialstyrelsen-SOS) in Sweden (55–69° N), and the Canadian Paediatric Society in Canada (42–83° N).1, 38, 39 In other countries, health agencies recommend supplementing at-risk infants only (conditional supplementation), such as the Department of Health in the United Kingdom (50–61° N) and the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) in Australia (11–44° S).40, 41 The Ministry of Health in New Zealand (33–53° S) recommends supplements only in the case of a proven vitamin D deficiency.

Research has demonstrated that children are able to store several months worth of vitamin D when they are exposed to only a few hours of summer sunlight.8, 18, 48 Research has also shown that exclusively breastfed Caucasian infants under six months of age (39° N; Cincinnati, Ohio, US) maintain adequate vitamin D status when exposed to sunlight for 30 minutes per week (wearing a diaper only) or two hours per week (fully clothed without a hat).18 The sunlight exposure needed by darkly pigmented infants has not been adequately researched.

Here is a link to the AAP policy on vitamin D supplementation:
    http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;111/4/908
    Infants who are breastfed but do not receive supplemental vitamin D or adequate sunlight exposure are at increased risk of developing vitamin D deficiency or rickets.1–3,12,13 Human milk typically contains a vitamin D concentration of 25 IU/L or less.14–16 Thus, the recommended adequate intake of vitamin D cannot be met with human milk as the sole source of vitamin D for the breastfeeding infant. Although there is evidence that limited sunlight exposure prevents rickets in many breastfed infants,17,18 in light of growing concerns about sunlight and skin cancer and the various factors that negatively affect sunlight exposure, it seems prudent to recommend that all breastfed infants be given supplemental vitamin D. Supplementation should begin within the first 2 months of life. As noted above, it is very difficult to determine what is adequate sunlight exposure for an individual breastfed infant. Additional research is suggested to more fully understand the factors underlying the development of vitamin D deficiency and rickets in some breastfed infants.
    What the above states is while it may not be neccessary for every infant, the AAP recommends prophylactic (preventative) vitamin D supplementation for every infant.

Quote:
    If you are in doubt as to whether vitamin D supplements are needed and prefer not to give supplements "just in case" -- getting a blood test to determine the vitamin D status of you or your child is always an option.

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...vitamin-d.html (non-LLL resource)

There is LOTS of information in the links I included above. If you need help filtering through it all, please don't hesitate to ask.

HTH!

My pediatrician said:

"It's recomended that breastfed infants take vitamin D. Here's a prescription." Pause. "But your baby doesn't really need it because I don't think you guys are hermits locked inside all day."

I feel like she just felt like she had to tell us what the recommendation is to keep us informed, even though she is not sure she agrees.

However, I read up on this and I believe maybe my girl should have a supplement. In the winter, my baby will not get the recommended sunlight exposure. So I think she needs it because of a "sunlight deficiency" not a "breastmilk deficiency". I researched to find a supplement that is just vitamin D and not mixed with other vitamins. Heres what I found:
    http://www.sunlightvitamins.com/

I was going to order but instead I just enrolled in a breastfeeding and vitamin D research study. I think its cool that I stumbled upon this research study at the same time that I was thinking about the issue. They are providing us with their own custom formulation of vitamin D (no other vitamins in it) plus we get some cash.

Erin,

I noticed our babies have the same birthday!

I'm wondering if my LO may have a touch of reflux also, so I'd be interested to hear what you are experiencing.

Jen
    Jen, momma to Charlotte Rae born 9/25/07

Still breastfeeding !

and !

WRT reflux...mostly just an abnormally large amount of spitup always associated with fussing. He fussed before and after after spitup--by fussing I guess I mean crying for a brief period of time until consoled, usually with nursing. He just seems very uncomfortable with spitting up. I'm not sure if its reflux, but after trying all other methods (lots of burping, remaining upright for feeds and for a time afterward), we are giving the zantac a try. I *think* it might be working, but its only been a couple days.

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Hi erin,
    There is a new study I have access to through my college. I would love to email it to you, as there is just too much to it to explain. What I got out of it is that it is also a good idea to maintain your own levels of vitamin D if breastfeeding. So yah, whatever. Go eat some vitamin D!