Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D

Default Vitamin D

Our ped's np told us that it was now "recommended" for breastfed infants, so we needed to start a multi-vitamin. I said, "By the AAP?" and she said "Yep, and beyond" . So, what's the "real story" on Vitamin D?

She also told me what she would recommend for a formula supplement, should I decide to supplement, right after I told her I would ebf until he was feeding himself solids. She also said that rice cereal is a great source of protein. I'm not sure if I should look for a new pedi. Our family doc, that we saw until Haylee started having issues has throat cancer and quit his practice, so we can't go back to him, but I loved his hands off approach. Where, or where, can I find someone like him?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Default Re: Vitamin D

you can find one anywhere far outside of that pedis office . and were I you, I'd get info, print it out, go in, fire them and leave them with my info. I would have also asked her to explain to me, the bodies vitamin D sysnthesis process and then see what she said - then ask her how much sunlight that meant you guys need to expose him to - sheesh

All the info you are asking about is on kelly mom for sure- but I'm sure it's other places as well ...

an how are you guys?!?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    Our ped's np told us that it was now "recommended" for breastfed infants, so we needed to start a multi-vitamin. I said, "By the AAP?" and she said "Yep, and beyond" . So, what's the "real story" on Vitamin D?

She also told me what she would recommend for a formula supplement, should I decide to supplement, right after I told her I would ebf until he was feeding himself solids. She also said that rice cereal is a great source of protein. I'm not sure if I should look for a new pedi. Our family doc, that we saw until Haylee started having issues has throat cancer and quit his practice, so we can't go back to him, but I loved his hands off approach. Where, or where, can I find someone like him?
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I know its an AAP recommendation. I'll be back in a bit with the link.

Our pediatrician has NEVER recommended any vitamins or supplements for our DS. We saw a dietitian recently who gave us %$#@ because DS isn't taking a vit D supplement and said we had to take one now. I'm getting a 2nd opinion from our pedi.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

AAP recommendation on Vitamin D

Kellymom.com on Vit D

My understanding (and I'm not a doctor nor play one on the internet) is that SOME babies aren't getting enough Vitamin D and getting ricketts so they recommend that ALL babies get vit D supplements "just in case".

Since we get so much sunlight here in Colorado and DS is outside pretty much every day I'm not worried about it.

I am going to double check with our pedi ... and since he's been laid back about everything else I don't think he's going to recommend Vit D supplements.

No suggestions about how to find a great doc where you are ....
    Last edited by lsksam; October 24th, 2007 at 02:14 PM.
    Lynn

I agree, if you've got any other options, look into finding a new pedi.

As for Vit. D, I think it's only a possible issue if Waylon won't be getting any sunlight. If you are worried, I'd look into a Vit. D supplement, not a multivitamin with stuff you don't want. But that's just me.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Quote Originally Posted by Number3 View Post
    an how are you guys?!?!?!?!?!

I think Erin has some stalkers
    Lynn

When Kate was around a year old I called my ped, I was all furious b/c he hadn't put her on Vit D supplements and I read an article in a parenting magazine that said bf babies NEED it or they will get rickets.... My ped said, maybe if you lived in the north pole and Kate never saw the light of day.

He felt like the Vit D she got from my milk and the sunlight was enough.

This is one of those things that makes me ask, what would we do if there were no Vit D supplements? Does my cat know that her breastmilk isn't sufficient, she should check with her vet to get some supplements.

Whatever. You know you stuff. Find another doc if you can.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

hey momma!!!

my ped said that we could start vitamins if we wanted to, i tried them twice and both times he spit them up, so, i haven't used them since. my ped is fine with us not using them. i would probably get look around for another doctor....that said, how is little waylon doing? and the precious miss. haylee?
    Lisa
    Married to my Sugar Daddy
    Mom to Matt (5/14/97)
    James (11/8/06)
    Kelly Anne (3/14/08)
    Paul (3/11/10)

I decided to compromise on this one. We live in TX, so there's no shortage of sunlight, but unfortunately, there's no guarantee of my dd seeing 15 min or so each day, although realistically, I think she does between car rides and trips to the car, etc. Anyway, I give the vitamin D supplements like every other day or so.

Ds was born in winter and here it is recommended for adults to get a supplement at least in the winter months so I gave them to DS. Once we got into the summer I slacked off them because we were outside all the time and he was getting more than enough sun.