Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Possibly going back to work PT...need help!

Default Possibly going back to work PT...need help!

Alright, I'm not a huge pumper... I pump about 5 oz a day for the milk bank and then the next day I try and pump for us here at home. Well I decided to apply for a weekend job at baby's r us yesterday and got a call back this morning. How often do you pump while at work and for how long? I'm afraid I'm going to leave DS and he's not going to have enough to eat! While I need to do something to bring in a little money, and I think it'd be good for DS to have some time with DH I don't know if it's going to work out.

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

Default Re: Possibly going back to work PT...need help!

I'd generally pump for every nursing session that DS would have had if we were together.

In reality - DS would have 3 bottles and during that time I'd double pump (both breasts) twice during that period. I'd definitely get a hands-free pumping thingy, and if possible use a double pump.

The "rule of thumb" is that LO needs 1 to 1.5 oz for every hour apart from mom.

Your DS 10 mo, right? So he may need less EBM if he's eating alot of solids.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I think it also depends on how long you will be gone. Are you going to work for 8 hours? Less??
    I work part time, but I work anywhere from 2.5-6 hrs a day. I've only worked the 6 hr days twice,and I was hurting. I was so busy, I didnt have time to pump. But DS wont take a bottle so he just eats solids while I am at work.
    On average, I will work 3-4 hours and I dont pump. Maybe thats not smart, but my supply hasnt been affected by not pumping.
    But if you are working more hours than that, I have no advice I will say that as nervous as I was being away from DS the first few days, I am so happy I decided to get a PT job. I have met new people, and I get out of the house on my own for a few hours. I think you will like working (and hey a little extra money cant hurt either!)

I'm Heather, SAHM to Cooper , born 1/2007
    and Bennett, our precious NICU grad born 8/2009
    and wife to Bill since 10/2003!
    We're young, but we know we can do it!
    Life with the Stevens-blog

I'm an Ergo Baby Carrier affiliate!

I don't know yet. I'm putting off calling the lady back to set up an interview. I'd rather make and sell stuff from home really, it's not that i don't trust DH wth DS... just don't want to be away from him

~Meg~
    Wife to Ray (09/07/07)and Mama to:
    Xander (01/19/07) nursed for 30 months
    Liam (12/12/09) still nursing through the night and in the mornings!
    Sebastian (7/29/12) my newest little nursling who graciously shares his milk with big brother!

There's nothing wrong with that! No reason to be bashful. I think most mothers feel that way, even if they HAVE to back to work.

If you decide to take the job, post back with the details and I'm sure we'll be able to help you with some suggestions. If not, well, enjoy this time with your son and good luck in whatever you decide to do.