Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: watery milk

Default watery milk

my 10 week old only takes short naps (maybe two 40 min naps and a few 15 min naps). I can't figure out if he wakes up because he is hungry.

my ds eats for about 7 min at each feeding. During the day, he wants to eat every 2 hours. My ped lectured me I was feeding him too often so I've been trying to push it to 2 1/2 hours but he cries the entire half hour. I get him to eat any longer than 7 min. If I force him, he spits up. I don't want to not feed him if he really is hungry in case my supply will not be enough to feed in the future.

When I pump, I only get about 2.5 oz when he skipped a feeding. Does that mean he's only eating 2.5 oz at each feed? Also, the milk is kinda bluish and watery when I pump. Is there anything I can do to make it the creamier, thicker milk? Is it something I'm eating or not eating? Thanks! Hoping I'm doing this BF thing right. Sorry for the long post...

Default Re: watery milk

First of, I don't know why the ped told you he's eating too much... but I would continue to feed him on demand...if he's hungry (and you know when he is) feed him!

Secondly, what you pump can't compare with what the baby is acutally getting. They can get milk out of the breast better than any pump! Get 2.5 oz is pretty good. As far a the watery milk goes, you maybe getting more foremilk than hindmilk...try massaging and compressing the breast while pumping next time. Also how long are you pumping for?
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Arrrgh!!!! Is your pediatrician smoking crack?!? I think you were given some very bad advice. Breastfed babies should not be scheduled, because breastmilk digests very quickly. Formula digests more slowly, so a formula-fed baby on a schedule is probably not starvingly hungry in between feedings, while a breastfed baby probably is. My DD fed every 1.5-2 hours during the day until she was about 14 months old, and getting most of her nutrition from solids.

Short naps are really frustrating. (I've been there!!!) You might want to try wearing your baby in a sling. Some babies need physical contact to sleep for longer periods. Movement may also help- so putting your LO down for naps in a swing may help. Swaddling may help, too, as some babies really like to feel snuggled up while sleeping. If you can, sleep when the baby sleeps! If he goes down for a nap, try taking a nap with him.

Pumping is not necessarily a good gauge of your supply. A baby is much more efficient at extracting milk than a pump is. If your baby's weight gain pattern is good, than more than likely he is getting plenty of milk.

It's pretty normal for your milk to look bluish and watery after you've been nursing for a while. My milk started out yellowy and creamy looking, and became more white and thin-looking after a few months. If you let your milk sit in the fridge for a while, you will probably see a layer of cream separate and float to the top. If you still feel like there isn't enough fat in your milk when you pump, try pumping out every last drop and then pumping for a couple minutes beyond that, to encourage those last drops of creamy hindmilk to come out.

my ped told me to feed him less b/c he became huge. he was 7lb 13 oz at birth and was over 14 lbs by 2 month visit. I've been juggling b/w schedule & demand b/c I feel if I go strictly on schedule, my supply drops.

I pump maybe once or twice a day maybe every other day? I'm EBF and SAHM. I pump about 30 to hour after he eats unless I work out and he misses a feeding than I pump in place of the feeding. I usually pump for about 10 min. The milk stops coming out after about 3 minutes so I"m pumping 7 minutes past.

I only get a fairly thin layer of fat on top. One time I pumped 6 oz total from both sides and only maybe 0.25 was the thick fat layer on top. Is that normal? Thanks so much for ur help everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by mommyturtle View Post
    My ped lectured me I was feeding him too often so I've been trying to push it to 2 1/2 hours but he cries the entire half hour.
    Eeek! My advice - consider finding a pedi who knows what they're talking about. Breastfed babies should NOT be put on feeding schedules, and your pedi should know better; it's terrible that he has made you question yourself and your nursing relationship through his ignorance. Trust your baby! How is it possible that a doctor in a remote location knows if your baby is hungry and needs to eat BETTER than your baby himself knows? Please don't let your baby cry in hunger!

I get him to eat any longer than 7 min. If I force him, he spits up. I don't want to not feed him if he really is hungry in case my supply will not be enough to feed in the future.
    Ah, supply - the "S" word to nursing mothers everywhere. As long as you feed your baby on demand - and NOT on some random schedule dreamed up by an ignorant doctor - there is no real reason to worry about supply. Especially since your LO is nursing so often, he probably only needs 7 minutes to fill up his little belly, and he'll be back for more when he's ready If he needs more, he will demand to nurse more frequently and your supply will go up in response.

When I pump, I only get about 2.5 oz when he skipped a feeding. Does that mean he's only eating 2.5 oz at each feed? Also, the milk is kinda bluish and watery when I pump. Is there anything I can do to make it the creamier, thicker milk? Is it something I'm eating or not eating?.
    Babies are much more efficient (and determined) than pumps - your pumping output is not indicative of how much your LO is getting. Breastmilk can be naturally bluish and watery - that does NOT mean there's anything wrong with it or that your LO isn't getting hindmilk.

The problem with "medicalizing" nursing - measuring ounces, observing color, etc. - is that baby, and every woman, is slightly different. My motto is: if it's not a problem, don't make it one. KWIM? Unless your baby is having problems, and it doesn't sound like that, then just keep nursing on demand and try not to create things to worry about The BEST thing my DH ever did was refuse to let me get a baby scale because he knew I would obsess - how much is the baby eating? does he weigh enough? does he weigh too much? - when all I needed to do was learn to trust my baby and myself.

ETA: I saw your second post. Sorry if I'm being too bold, but your pedi sounds like a real piece of work. It's extremely rare for EBF babies to be "overweight", as they are gaining at the exactly the rate nature intends them to without interference from artificial substances. Some babies gain a lot quickly, and then level off as they become mobile and more interested in the world around them. I'm frankly amazed that a doctor would tell your to restrict the nutritional intake of a 10 week old by refusing to nurse on demand. Maybe if they are still gaining off-the-charts after solids become their main source of calories, but an EBF 10 week old infant? That's crazy to me.
    Last edited by ekaptian; October 24th, 2007 at 12:25 PM. Reason: to respond to addt'l post
    Erin - Hayden James is my beautiful boy - we've been nursing happily for two years, with no end in sight!

Change the language, change the reality.

my ped told me to feed him less b/c he became huge. he was 7lb 13 oz at birth and was over 14 lbs by 2 month visit.
    You're Ped is a lunatic

My son was 7lb 8oz at birth, 14lb 3oz at 2 months, 20lb 9oz at 4 months and now at 5 months is some where around 24lb from what I can tell jumping on the bathroom scale with him. His Doc is absolutley DELIGHTED with his size although at his 4 month check, she did spend a while reassuring us ( his completely unconcerned parents) that he wasn't too fat and some BF babies are just big in the early months blah blah blah.

Don't worry about what your milk looks like, how much you can pump etc so long as your son continues to thrive. Just feed him every time he's hungry, love him and maybe look for a new Doc who knows what they're talking about

I would continue to feed on demand, because you can't overfeed a bf baby! They will eat what they need! It's not just because it's there like a bottle.

And I'm sure once your LO is crawling and walking that he'll lose weight! I can't believe your Pedi said that to you!! I would be proud and not listen to him that my milk made my son that big!

It sounds like your baby is growing fine. My lo just went for his 2month app. and so far he was at 5lbs and 2oz and now 12lbs when seen. And let me tell you this little man eats like a little oinker. I pump once a day, not to maintain my supply but b/c I work for 3 hours in the mornings and miss a feeding, and I get 5 to 8 oz so think that everyone and their baby is different. My ped said a 2month old would drink around 2.5 to 4oz, mine drinks around 5 to 6 but remember I said he's an oinker, so it sounds like your little one is drinking enough.

Is the foremilk have enuf nutrition for baby if I don't have a lot of hindmilk?

my fat layer isn't that thick either.... if you aren't having any green poop, baby is getting a good balance
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)