Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1 month old still sleeps on the breast

Default 1 month old still sleeps on the breast

My one month old has taken comfort nursing to the extreme. She prefers to sleep on my breast rather than eat. As a result it takes about an hour and a half to feed her, even when I use the "super switch" method. Because she is not nursing vigorously, she doesn't get enough milk (She still hasn't returned to her birthweight). I can't pump because she crys when she is not on the breast or I'm not holding her. She wakes up from sleeping a minute after I put her down. So, I've had to supplement with formula (on the advice of my pediatrician and my lactation consultant). I was hoping that she would have grown out of this by now. I'm afraid that if it goes on for much longer, I will lose my milk supply. Has anyone else had this problem?

Default Re: 1 month old still sleeps on the breast

Honestly, you will look back in a few months and love cuddling her so much. I know it is hard because of sleep and things you need to get done, but they grow out of it so fast! Comfort sucking helps your supply, but if she is constantly falling asleep, make sure she is undressed to her diaper and is against you without a shirt "tummy to tummy" and keep a wet washcloth next to you to gently encourage her to stay awake and nurse.

You might try getting a hands free bra and as she is on one breast you are pmping the other. I've had to do that as well with m DS and it has worked wonders. I even have enough to freeze now

I discussed it with my lactation consultant and she thinks it's a great idea. So, I'm going to try it. Thanks!

Smile Re: 1 month old still sleeps on the breast

My daughter is 2 months now and she did that a lot in the beginning, but it is getting better. I had a C-Section and while in the hospital, since I would not let the nursery take her at all (afraid of them giving her formula) I had to keep her on my chest for most of the day and night so she got used to staying on the breast to eat, to sleep and just to be comforted. It was frustrating because I couldnt get much done but I started keeping her on one breast so that when she just wanted comfort, not too much milk would come out. Meanwhile the other breast would be full with milk and now I have about 40 6 ounce bottles stored away from pumping. It will get better. Also, I am going to get a sling since that was a suggestion from the other moms.

Good Luck..Don't give up

I'm having difficulty nursing a pumping at the same time. My daughter goes to sleep at the sound of the pump and I can't seem to pump as much either.