Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: extended nursing and the law

Default extended nursing and the law

Does anyone have any experience of extended nursing being raised by the father in family court proceedings over visitation etc? If so, any tips on how to educate court officials on the fact that extended nursing is perfectly normal and healthy for the child?

Default Re: extended nursing and the law

I was reading about that somewhere the other day and I read abut a few cases where child services end up removing the kids from mom custody because of extended BF, needless to say that the kids was given back to the mom. It's sad and DIRTY the kind of tricks fathers use against the mom just to get custody of their, while I'm pretty sure they love and miss their kid, by doing that is obvious they ain't looking for the welfare of the child but more for a way to show their power. Read this link, it will help find some answer and reassured you everything is going to be fine at the end. Keep us post, I'm interested on this situation.
    Good Luck! and keep doing what's best for your child!

http://www.llli.org/LawMain.html

Great link, Mami_Kathy, thanks!
    At this link there are two articles on extended breastfeeding and the law by Elizabeth Baldwin. If these articles were shared with the mother's lawyer it might help the lawyer advocate for the extended nursing relationship.

Also, keep in mind this info from the American Academy of Pediatrics, available here:
    http://aappolicy.aappublications.org...rics;115/2/496

"Breastfeeding should be continued for at least the first year of life and beyond for as long as mutually desired by mother and child.

There is no upper limit to the duration of breastfeeding and no evidence of psychologic or developmental harm from breastfeeding into the third year of life or longer."

HTH!
    Mary

Hi Mama Kathy and Mary P, thanks for your helpful posts. My healthy happy daughter weaned naturally when she was just turned 4. Surely extended feeding indicates a good mum, not a bad one!! All the best.

My favorite Anthropologist Kathryn Dettwyler has an actual letter that she will sign and send to a judge. If you 'Google" her name you can get her website, and then find it from there.

Lightbulb Re: extended nursing and the law

Can the moderator copy this thread to the Single Parenting section? I believe there is some good info for single mothers, bfing law, and visitation rights.

Thank you.