Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Block feeding for 4 weeks but still mucousy stools

Default Block feeding for 4 weeks but still mucousy stools

Hi, I've been blockfeeding 11 week old DS for almost 4 weeks (switching sides every 4 hours) and have also cut out dairy for almost 4 weeks. DS seems less fussy, less gassy, but still has frequent yellow (they've never been green) very liquid mucousy stools, sometimes frothy. Should I increase time before switching sides? Thanks!

cmp12345 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Default Re: Block feeding for 4 weeks but still mucousy stools

MY LO had somewhat frothy stools for months. I think if your LO has yellow stools, isn't fussy at the breast, and you're not feeling uncomfortable, then you are OK.

It takes a long time for those baby intestines to heal. Both dairy and OS take a while to work out of baby's system. Is the block feeding reducing your supply? I had to go to 6 hour blocks for a while to really make sure she was getting some hindmilk - don't do that unless you still seem oversupplied! Other food allergies can cause mucousy stools too. A lot of dairy babies are also intolerant to soy. Have you been sure to cut out all hidden dairy? I was surprised to find it in things like lunch meat, hamburger buns, pretzels.

All that being said, I think DDs stools remained icky for quite some time. If your LO is feeling better and less fussy, I would keep up the god work! I never followed a strict block when I was block feeding. I nursed her on one side until she fussed at that side, as if she was not satisfied. Then I would switch sides. The emptier your breasts are the thicker the milk will be. That hind milk is good to help the intestines heal too!

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, block feeding has definitely reduced supply - I don't feel incredibly full, or as though I'm about to spray everywhere when I even *think* about feeds! I am an avid label-reader, so I can say that I really have cut out dairy, but as you say noodlenerd, it could take a while longer for those intestines to heal and we'll have icky poo for the time being... I've been getting very down about poisoning my little munchkin and it's good to know that I'm not alone in this, and that there is hope. Any more ideas also much appreciated!!

have you replaced dairy with soy?
    Some children that are bothered by dairy are also bothered by soy.

Thanks! I haven't replaced dairy with soy, not have I consciously been avoiding soy, but here in rural Italy it's not that common - and we don't really have any processed foods in the house (except for cookies, ice-cream etc which I'm already avoiding). We live on pasta, rice, vegetables, fruit and various beans and lentils, and make our (very simple) meals from scratch, so I should see anything weird going into my food.

LO is all smiles today, and a friend who assists in a BF clinic says that they measure success by happiness of baby, and not to get obsessed by colour and texture of stools... it's just that I know the mucous is coming from a tiny damaged intestine, and I want to see it starting to heal... argh.