Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost milk supply?

Default Lost milk supply?

I have a 6.5 month baby boy. This past weekend he got the stomach bug and threw up 8 times in 48 hours. He didn't nurse much and I pumped a few times. Then I got the same stomach bug Sunday night. Now that we are all better, I have noticed a dramatic decrease in my milk supply: my breasts are extremely soft even during early morning hours (they used to be very full), and when I pump at work I only get half of what I used to get. This has been going on for 2 days. I am taking fenugreek, adding pumping sessions, drinking lots of fluids. How long will this drop in supply last? Have I lost my supply forever? Should I start supplementing in case my baby in starving (I have some frozen milk)? Has anyone have this problem before?

Thank you very much for any help/advice/comments you can give me.

Mom to Ben

Default Re: Lost milk supply?

Hiyas and

If your baby is fine after nursing and it's cranky, then I defiently wouldn't supplement cause he would let you know if he was starving!

I think just drink lots of fluids, get him to nurse alot because that will defiently signal your body to produce more, and pump more. Your supply should be back to where it was or better in a few days of doing this. Cause I know I started to pump abit more, cause I wasn't doing any of it, and now I defiently have a surplus of a supply.

But my boobs never feel really full anymore, which I know is fine because my supply was just perfect for what he needed and I didn't need any extra for him. I think after awhile your breasts won't feel as full anymore. But I might be wrong about that.

I agree! Go on a nursing vacation.. (basically you don't do anything but nurse and cuddle with lo). this helps me... I usually do this on all night fri and all day Sat!
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Now that we are all better, I have noticed a dramatic decrease in my milk supply: my breasts are extremely soft even during early morning hours (they used to be very full), and when I pump at work I only get half of what I used to get. This has been going on for 2 days. I am taking fenugreek, adding pumping sessions, drinking lots of fluids. How long will this drop in supply last? Have I lost my supply forever? Should I start supplementing in case my baby in starving (I have some frozen milk)? Has anyone have this problem before?
    I've gone through the illness induced low supply thing twice now, and the first time I had a double whammy in that my period came back too! I was panicked, I used to pump about 4-6 ounces, then all of a sudden I was getting less than 1 at a session.

You are doing everything right, adding in a pumping session, lots of fluids, also nurse your baby often and as long as possible. My DS helped out too after he was feeling better he did some cluster feeding and was up far more than usual in the night helping boost mommy's supply back up. It took me about 3-4 days usually before I saw things improve and return to normal. You'll be okay, your body will adjust.

Also, I wouldn't supplement if you can avoid it. If you don't have enough for the next day at work try pumping at night if you can. The freezer stash is great to have as a back up but you are also trying to get your supply back to where you want it, so I'd pump like crazy and only dip into the stash if absolutley necessary. I would also pump after your LO has nursed, you'd be surprised at getting another let down and the stimulation this will also signal to your body to make more milk.

Hang in there, you guys will be fine

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement! Today I double pumped at work (every hr instead of 2 hrs, and even cluster pumped a little) but the output was worse than yesterday. And I just tried to nurse my baby but he unlatched pretty quickly probably because the flow is so slow. It seems like the situation is getting worse. I just want to cry! Have I lost my supply forever? I don't want to give up since we have worked so hard to get bf-ing going and I want to bf until at least 2yo...

Well if you just started to pump every hour today your body doesn't know that it needed that milk at that time. Tomorrow or the day after it should have it there. And the pump isn't as good as the baby is at getting the milk out. So there is more milk in there that the pump isn't getting out. I know when I pump I only usually get 1oz between the both, cause my right boob for some reason doesn't like the pump.

But with all that pumping you signaled your body to make more milk. And if you have giving the baby bottles then he might have nipple confusion, or is just frustrated cause he has to work at getting your milk instead of just having it there from the bottle.

Just keep nursing and try not to give bottles! It might take some hard work but you can do it!

I am there with you. I have been pumping like a mad woman this afternoon. I am hoping that if I keep this up I will have it going good by Friday. If I can get my milk up maybe she will nurse again. I am not ready to give up either. Just hang in there with me. We are not alone and we can do this.

I just talk to my pediatrician. He said if my supply doesn't come back up in a few days, then we should start giving DS formula. My pediatrician is very laid back sort of guy -- I have been worried about DS weight gain from day one, and he is the one who has been telling me we are doing fine and I have enough milk and so on. So he must be serious this time about the formula (*sob*).

Someone suggested domperidone. Has anyone in the US have success in getting a doctor to prescribe this? I had supply issues early on but no one would prescribe domperidone so I was on reglan. Not sure if I want to go on reglan again. The early days was such a blur and I don't remember if reglan helped or not. I was already depressed with postpartum depression so I can't blame reglan though perhaps the reglan made the depression last longer.

And thanks patrese for your encouragement and support! I really need it (hooked up to the pump typing)

I don't think you need to look to prescription drugs yet! If you've been exclusively BF'ing for over 6 months you have an established supply and you only need to give the signal to your body to increase your milk.

Try and pump the same time every day. Remember it takes 3 days in a row to notice an increase.

Relax. Seriously this is huge- stressing out about milk production will make it worse.

It's normal for your breasts to feel soft. Enjoy the feeling, IMO! Who wants hard boobies?!

Nurse and give lots of skin to skin contact. You can do it!
    Lisa

Mommy to
    Logan 5-23-07
    Colby 12-14-09

The pedi told me to supplement at his 1 month appt and I didn't listen to her and switched to another pedi at the same place, and she has said nothing of the sort and thinks DS is doing wonderfully.

Just keep up the pumping and I'm sure you will see an increase in your supply!