Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Toss or not??

Default Toss or not??

My Dd and I have thrush. I have to pump in the afternoons usually because I get so full. I've been boiling my pump parts and collection bottles to sterilze them. My question is, do I have to dump all this milk I've frozen? I must have about 60 ounces I've pumped since we've had thrush. I'd hate to dump it, but I don't want to re infect her a few months from now when/if I use it.

Sara
    Mom to Richard 11.26.03 & Jolene 12.01.05

Default Re: Toss or not??

Hi Sara,
    Here's a link to the FAQ on thrush from the LLL website.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html
    It says... "The milk you pump during a thrush outbreak can be fed to your baby but not frozen. Freezing breastmilk does not kill the yeast in it."
    In LLL's BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK it says, "Research indicates that freezing does not kill yeast. Suggest the mother give the baby any milk that was expressed and stored during a thrush outbreak while they are being treated. If that is not possible, suggest she boil it to kill any yeast before giving it to the baby."
    HTH,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by LLLMaryP
    In LLL's BREASTFEEDING ANSWER BOOK it says, "Research indicates that freezing does not kill yeast. Suggest the mother give the baby any milk that was expressed and stored during a thrush outbreak while they are being treated. If that is not possible, suggest she boil it to kill any yeast before giving it to the baby."
    I'm assuming this means its okay to boil thawed milk?

Hi Sara,
    Here's another link with some more information. Towards the end it mentions some different approaches to heating milk to kill the yeast. Maybe this will help you decide what to do?

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...ssed-milk.html

Mary