Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can common cold lower milk supply?

Default Can common cold lower milk supply?

I have a cold and am noticing a dip in my milk supply when I pump. I normally get 4.5-5.5 oz a session, now I'm only getting about 3.5 oz. Could my cold have any bearing?

Default Re: Can common cold lower milk supply?

Having any sort of virus or cold, can temporarily diminish your supply.

Also taking antihistamines can drop your supply- they dry up your mucous membranes (runny nose) and also drop milk supply b/c of the way they work.

Well, hopefully once I'm over my cold things will get back to normal. Thanks!

When you have a runny nose, cough, fever, ect. your body needs a bit more fluids. Perhaps try increasing your fluid intake, and making a point to rest. Maybe even bring baby to bed with you for the afternoon just to nurse and rest. This dip is temporary. Take care of you, and it will be back up and no time!

do you exclusively pump or nurse as well?

I just went through something similar. I had a sinus infection, but without the "normal" symptoms. I thought I was just getting a cold/flu, and my supply went down (2 ounces or more less per pump session), and I was freaking out, but after I did the antibiotics and got healthy, my supply is better than before!
    Hot momma to The Boy born 19 December 2006.

Nursing The Boy for 1 year...and still going strong! I kicked the pump out the door though!

Oh, and I'm a cloth convert. Late in life. But only at home. Daycare isn't having it.