Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pump for how long?

Question pump for how long?

I will be going back to work part time in a few weeks. I have been pumping since I first started bfing my ds because of engorgement issues. Right now, I pump for about 5-7 minutes and am able to get 3 to 4 ounces in that time. However, I am worried about that not being enough for him for much longer. Should I pump for a longer amount of time (say 10-15 min) every time that I do pump? I just want to make certain that I pump enough for his daily bottle and that I still have enough for him to nurse. Any help would be great. Thanks!

Default Re: pump for how long?

Wow. I would be sooo happy if I got 3-4 ounces in 5 minutes!! I was pumping 10-15 minutes 3x's/day when I was at work, but I guess it just depends how much your LO is eating.

I was told at one point that I should continue to pump for a few minutes after the flow of milk stopped to make sure I was really "emptying" each side. However, I'm not sure if this was to help increase my supply, to keep my supply up or to make sure I was getting all the hind milk. Maybe someone else can answer that.

It will also depend on what pump you are using and how well it works with your body.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Default Re: pump for how long?

I would say to pump 15-20min, but never more than 20min. I've found that pumping less than 15min tends to decrease my supply at that time. If your milk stops flowing before 15min, turn the machine off, take a short break if you can, and turn it back on. I can actually just turn mine off and back on now to get another let-down. Also, in order to keep your supply up, it's a very good idea to use your hands according to this video http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastf...roduction.html.