Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I leave BM at room temp?

Default Can I leave BM at room temp?

I have only given EBM a few times to my son and it's usually fresh. I am going out today ( WOW!) and my Mom will be giving him a bottle. My question is, can she just take the milk out of the refrigerator an hour before she's going to give it to him? Will it warm up to room temp and be OK to give him? I feel dumb asking this question. I've been breastfeeding for 11 months and am quite clueless when it comes to this.

thanks!!

Default Re: Can I leave BM at room temp?

It should be fine to set it out for an hour, even a few hours is OK at room temp according to my lactation consultant. However, a quicker way would be to put the bottle of milk in a coffee mug filled about half way with hot water. My dh warms up the milk I pump when I work this way, and it takes about 3-4minutes.
    Hope that helps!

Oh, forgot to add, make sure she doesn't shake up the milk in the bottle like you wouild with formula. It destroys enzymes in the milk.

Thanks and thanks for the quick response. I still can't believe I'm going out with my friend!!! First time, alone, in 11 months! eeek!