Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water for constipation?

Default water for constipation?

We recently started solid foods, DD is 7+ mos. She is now constipated! Poor thing. More details: She was popping every 3-4 days. After the introduction of solids she poops every 2-3 days. My concern now is that she has been straining and not passing stools. Today is day 4 which isn't unusual, except that she is straining.

One of Dr. Sear's suggestions is giving her water. If she is only eating solids once a day and getting lots of BM, should I skip that advice? I am going to get prunes and peaches today. Should I call the ped? I was going to do that tomorrow because then she would be overdue for poo.

Anyone have any favorite tips for getting more poo?

Default Re: water for constipation?

I've heard the fruits that start with "P" help them to "P"oop.

Pears, peaches, prunes, etc.

FWIW- My DD really slowed down on her poops when we started solids, but she wasn't constipated. Constipation = hard, pebble-like poop. A lack of poop doesn't necessarily mean constipation. Even though, you *did* say your LO was straining...
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

Poor Abs! How long has she been stopped up? Do you think it was a particular food?

I've heard about giving pears or prunes and backing off of other solids. BM is mostly water, so I don't know if more water would help or not. I clearly have no experience with this, but I will be paying attention to answers since we'll probably be headed down the same road one of these days.

I love my kids. I care for them accordingly. What more can I say?

I also am experiencing a "no show" pooop, but DS doesn't seem to be straining or fussy.He started to have lesser poop when I introduced oatmeal cereal. This weekend I gave sweet potato and oatmeal cereal. He did have a poop during the weekend, but was creamy. Yesterday was the first time he didn't poop. Should I stop the cereal and just give fruit or vegetable (planning on giving him pear tonight)? I know it's normal for a BF baby to not have poop, i'm just a little concerned.

MIL also offered to give water but I hesitated and told her as long as he's not complaining and is happy.

Jacob is 5 months btw.

Sorry to piggyback on your thread Rachel

Gabe and Jacob's Nanay

Gabe born on September 07, 2004

Jacob born on May 29, 2007

I'm not sure. We've been offering water in a sippy cup for about a week. I'm not sure any actually gets in, but he has fun trying. I wouldn't think the water would HURT anything, even if it doesn't resolve your problem.

Apricots and Apples also help to poop. I would do a little mix of both...water and apricots/apples.

Thanks ladies. I just changed the biggest poopy diaper I have ever seen. I think she just lost 2 lbs! (Gretchen, why did I use all the liners YESTERDAY?) I think it was massive amounts of sweet potato that plugged her up. For TMI, the poo wasn't hard so the ped doesn't consider it constipation. It was the straining that worried me.

We are just going to keep more of those "p" foods in her rotation. but NOT potatoes. I thought apples were constipating too?

Quote Originally Posted by noodlenerd View Post
    We are just going to keep more of those "p" foods in her rotation. but NOT potatoes. I thought apples were constipating too?
    Yes, apples can cause constipation. Bananas can be a culprit, too.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

(Gretchen, why did I use all the liners YESTERDAY?)
    I'm pretty sure Abby was only pretending to strain so as to throw you off. She was really just waiting for you to run out of liners.

I think it was massive amounts of sweet potato that plugged her up.
    I should add that after Haley had only a small amount of sweet potato, she skipped pooping for a day, which she never does. She wasn't constipated by any stretch, but the potato did seem to affect her.