Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sanitize after each use? storage?

Default Re: sanitize after each use? storage?

I wipe the pump parts with the Medela quick wipes between uses during the day, then rinse quickly (no soap) and steam in the microwave bag when I get home. I used to just use soap & water at home (no steam bag), but then one time I think I didn't get all the soap out and the milk looked too bubbly, so I dumped it - and I don't want to do that again. I also steam clean the bottle nipples that DS uses each day. I don't bother steaming the bottles anymore -- I just use soap & water & a bottle brush to keep them clean and residue-free.

The quick wipes come in 2 different size packages. The smaller size is cheaper per-wipe than the bigger size because the bigger size pack has each wipe individually wrapped and it comes with a free steam bag. The smaller size is just a resealable bag with a stack of wipes. I've bought both but I like the resealable bag (smaller size) better because the wipes are not as wet. The individually wrapped wipes have a smell to them that I don't like -- the smaller pack doesn't have any smell at all.

I have an extra set of 2 flanges/valves/etc for my PISA that I use when I'm home. They were pretty cheap at Target ($6.99 each?) and include everything -- the flange, valve, etc. They do not totally disassemble like the ones that came with the pump which is why I don't like to "travel" to work with them. It is nice to have a fresh set if I get home and want to pump an extra time for the freezer supply without cleaning off the ones I used all day.

I pump into the medela bottles and put them in the little insulated bag that came with the PISA. I throw in the special ice pack that came with the pump that hugs the bottles.

I had a lactation nurse get snippy with me about not washing parts between each use. I asked her about putting them in the fridge and she thought that was super gross. I thought it would be ok. Anyway I pump 5 times a day and hate doing dishes so I bought five sets. Then I figured out that they were the wrong size shield and bought 5 bigger sets (sigh). They certainly get their use. I bring 2 sets to work and wash & sterilize them at home once a day. I guess it is rediculous to have 5 but I'd just wear the parts out faster if I had less. I get mastitis and have yeast problems a lot so I've gotten in the habit of sterilizing after each use with the steam bag or our microwave steamer. I wonder why the lactation nurse thought it was so gross?

Smile Re: sanitize after each use? storage?

First off ~ Congratualtions on your decision!

My DS is 5 1/2 months old and I have been back to work since he was 6 weeks old. In the beginning (for maybe a week) I rinsed with water between each use then I read her on LLL that BM is good at room temp for 10 hours. I checked again and yep that is the consensus (sp) I think Medela also says the same. To me that means a drop, an ounce, or a bottle.

At any rate for the last 4 months or so I have just pumped, stored, and washed at home. No rinsing, refrigeration, etc.

Here is what I do:
    Monday - Friday I leave my Avent Duo in my desk drawer.
    Each day I bring 2 sets of flanges, and bottles, storing caps, extra bottles, etc.
    When I get in the office I "set up" attach handles to the flanges, etc.
    So when it is time to pump I just "hook up" and pump when I am finished I just put it in the drawer until next time (I have an overproducer so at the next pump I switch sides and that gives me 2 full bottles) DS only has 2 bottles while I am away when he was at 3 I would just cycle the bottles through - at the first pumping combine the milk re-use 1st bottle and attach a new one and then use those 2

At the end of the day I take it home and put it in the sink with boiling water, after I eat I wash and hang them to dry, the next morning I assemble and put in my bag,

On Friday I take the pump and everything else (Easy Expressions handfree top- MUST HAVE) home and wash. I sterilize the pump parts on the weekends.

I usually pump around 10 am and am always home by 8 to put the milk in the fridge for the next day. With the avent system all I have to do is attach a nipple and lid the best!

If I have to run into the grocery store or run errands I just put the bottles in my purse!

I posted this once before and a lot of people were astounded at the length of time that BM can be "out" but think about it how long does it take for cows milk to make it to the fridge?? At any rate, we have never had a problem, no thrush, etc. So I say what I am doing works of course if your child had a problem, like thrush, then i would say sanitize after every use.

Breastfeeding ~ Pumping doesn't have to be difficult. It is the fact that it is so easy that keeps me committed. I just couldn't imagine washing all of those bottles!

I wish you the best of luck!!!!

One question why would you be freezing the milk won't LO need milk for the next day?

Quote Originally Posted by Sapp-5 View Post
    First off ~ Congratualtions on your decision!

My DS is 5 1/2 months old and I have been back to work since he was 6 weeks old. In the beginning (for maybe a week) I rinsed with water between each use then I read her on LLL that BM is good at room temp for 10 hours. I checked again and yep that is the consensus (sp) I think Medela also says the same. To me that means a drop, an ounce, or a bottle.

At any rate for the last 4 months or so I have just pumped, stored, and washed at home. No rinsing, refrigeration, etc.

Here is what I do:
    Monday - Friday I leave my Avent Duo in my desk drawer.
    Each day I bring 2 sets of flanges, and bottles, storing caps, extra bottles, etc.
    When I get in the office I "set up" attach handles to the flanges, etc.
    So when it is time to pump I just "hook up" and pump when I am finished I just put it in the drawer until next time (I have an overproducer so at the next pump I switch sides and that gives me 2 full bottles) DS only has 2 bottles while I am away when he was at 3 I would just cycle the bottles through - at the first pumping combine the milk re-use 1st bottle and attach a new one and then use those 2

At the end of the day I take it home and put it in the sink with boiling water, after I eat I wash and hang them to dry, the next morning I assemble and put in my bag,

On Friday I take the pump and everything else (Easy Expressions handfree top- MUST HAVE) home and wash. I sterilize the pump parts on the weekends.

I usually pump around 10 am and am always home by 8 to put the milk in the fridge for the next day. With the avent system all I have to do is attach a nipple and lid the best!

If I have to run into the grocery store or run errands I just put the bottles in my purse!

I posted this once before and a lot of people were astounded at the length of time that BM can be "out" but think about it how long does it take for cows milk to make it to the fridge?? At any rate, we have never had a problem, no thrush, etc. So I say what I am doing works of course if your child had a problem, like thrush, then i would say sanitize after every use.

Breastfeeding ~ Pumping doesn't have to be difficult. It is the fact that it is so easy that keeps me committed. I just couldn't imagine washing all of those bottles!

I wish you the best of luck!!!!

One question why would you be freezing the milk won't LO need milk for the next day?
    I also have the avent duo and I only have 1 set of parts. I have an insulated bag with ice packs. I keep bm and all parts in bag as well as motor and carry it with me. never had a problem. keeps everything fresh and I know that no one has tampered with bm. I rinse with boiling water when i get home and do a deep sanitization 1 a week. Either a bag or dishwasher. can't wait to get my avent iq24 sterilizer it's on the way.

First off, thanks for your answers everyone! I think I know what I'm going to do at work on Monday. I'll get to pump twice and I usually get about 15 ounces or so from those two sessions, which is 5 bags of 3 ounces-which is perfect for my LO.

I'll just either rinse with hot water or use those wipes on the parts between sessions. Then I'll take them home once a week to sterilize them in the dishwasher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapp-5 View Post

As for the EBM, I freeze the bags because I'm a bit ahead when it comes to stocking up on it. I have like 10 or so bags in my freezer now. Since I can pump about 5 bags a day and my LO only needs 2-3 a day, I'm a bit ahead of myself. But LO has no probably drinking once frozen EBM so that's fine with me.

Thanks again!
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

Just a side note about not washing every time. This procedure is ok for mothers without thrush. If you have thrush you need to wash every time.