Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sanitize after each use? storage?

Question sanitize after each use? storage?

When I return to work soon and start pumping, do I need to sanitize the parts between uses? I plan to pump twice while at work. I have those Quick Clean wipes and the Micro Steam bag. Do I need to use the steam bag between uses? Or can I just make sure the parts are really clean?

Another idea: do any of you own multiple breastshields and valves so you don't have to clean at work?

And with the milk I pump, can I just keep it cool in one of those carrier bags with ice packs and then freeze it when I get home? Is that safe?

Thanks!!!
    ~*Sherri*~
    Mommy to Allison Rae

Born 9-18-07 @ 1:18am

BF for 18 months! Finally weaned!

Default Re: sanitize after each use? storage?

I put it all in the fridge... (not the motor). I don't have anywhere to wash it at work...
    Married mama with 4 kiddos...2 girls (11 & 6) and 2 boys (21mo & 3mo)

Talking Re: sanitize after each use? storage?

I just rinse it and dry it havent had a problem so far!

When I was pumping for DD, I would just rinse it and pack it up. BM can last several hours, even if not refrigerated, without going bad.

No need to buy extra parts.

I used to put my milk in the refrigerator, but I think an insulated carrier with ice packs work well, too.
    Sarah- Mommy to Ally (4/16/06) , Katlyn (11/13/07) & Rebekah (10/21/09)
    All three, all natural!

I pump 2 x's at work and wash with dish soap and let dry. I also store milk in a carrier with ice pack. Have been doing this for a month with no problem.

I stick my parts in the cooler bag as well. I do have an extra set of parts because sometimes i just can't bear to do the dishes that night.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Dyno-mite View Post
    I pump 2 x's at work and wash with dish soap and let dry.
    I pump 3x's at work and wash with hot soapy water after each use. Once a week, I use the steam sterilizing bags in the microwave. I have 2 sets of parts - one for work and one for home - so they can finish drying without having to pack them up wet.

Amy

I use to wash all parts after each use then as the baby and life became more demanding I started to place the parts (not motor) in the fridge until the next use (only use it twice max then wash). I figure if the milk can stay fresh for 3-5 days in fridge a few hours between pumping shouldn't hurt. I read in Kellymom that you can keep milk in ice pack or fridge for a few hours before you freeze it. Ideally you want to freeze it right away when possible, however, it is hard to do that if your a working mom.

I rinse parts without diassembling in hot water after each pumping, let dry on a paper towel. Then steam sterilize in a medela bag at the end of the day, take home every week or so to wash in the dishwasher. I would just put the parts in the fridge but there isn't enough space in the little fridge I share with my coworkers.

I have three sets of parts for my PISA at work. I pump three times a day, and I didn't want to have to take the extra time to wash them, so I bought two extras. It works well for me.

I store the milk in our office refrigerator. No one gives me a hard time, but they know better.
    Hot momma to The Boy born 19 December 2006.

Nursing The Boy for 1 year...and still going strong! I kicked the pump out the door though!

Oh, and I'm a cloth convert. Late in life. But only at home. Daycare isn't having it.