Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Any Amount of BreastMilk Still a Benefit?

Default Any Amount of BreastMilk Still a Benefit?

When I first started breastfeeding I was having some trouble with mastitis, sore nipples and pumpming at work. I was told and read that any amount of breast milk was good and a benefit for my dd. I work full-time an pump 2x a day to get 2 5oz bottles for dd with her solid breakfast and lunch. Sometimes, she will get a 4 oz bottle of formuls if I am late to pick her up. It's the back up bottle. I can not WAIT to give up pumping. I was thinking of weaning her at 12 months, but since reading some posts on here about how beneficial it is to continue, I wonder if bf in the morning and maybe in the evening (if she will take it) is still a benefit after 12 months? I would just stop pumpming at work... If I didn't work, I would probably BF her till she was 2 maybe 3 yrs. Anyone else work and BF an older baby? My dd is only about 10 mnths, but I am thinking ahead.

Default Re: Any Amount of BreastMilk Still a Benefit?

My dd will be 12 mo this month. I understand the desire to cut pumping out. I started pumping twice at work and got down to once a day. With solids that is all the milk my dd needs while I'm away. Some days I will go the entire day without pumping because I don't get time. My daughter nurses right before I leave in the morning and as soon as I get to the sitters in the afternoon. I am gone about 9 hours. She usually nurses around 6 pm and again at 9 to fall asleep. Most nights we co-sleep so she nurses whenever she wants to in the night. I think that it's very personal how long to nurse. If pumping is the issue, cut back on that gradually and give more formula while you're away. Nurse as often as needed when you are home. It's definately worth it. Good Luck

My son is 12 1/2 months old and I gave up pumping completely about a month ago. I have had no issues with engorgement and ds seems to have acclimated with no problem. During the week, ds nurses first thing in the morning and right before bed at night and gets cow milk and water during the day. On the weekends, he also nurses right before his afternoon nap. Giving up the pump made the biggest difference in the world to me. While I was still pumping everyday at work, I really started thinking that I wanted to be totally done with bf'ing. Although I still want to start moving in the direction of weaning, giving up the pump has given me what I need to to wean more gradually.

Hi MadisMom,
    Yes, yes, yes! Any amount of breastmilk is still beneficial.
    It sounds like you've overcome some challenges to make it this far and you are really looking forward to giving up the daily routine of the pump.
    You might like some of the responses below, from the "Making It Work" section of New Beginnings magazine, where mothers discuss "hanging up the horns" while continuing the breastfeeding relationship. Maybe this will help you see the "light at the end of the tunnel" for the routine of pumping.

Making It Work
    "Hanging Up the Horns"

Making It Work
    Weaning from the Pump

Making It Work
    Working Without Pumping

HTH!
    Mary

i stopped pumping at 9 months, when carter started refusing the bottle. i figured if he didn't want it i wouldn't force it. i don't really have any engorgement problems, even on the days i work. the only definite times we nurse are when he gets up in the morning and right before bed. during the day (i only work 3 days a week), its just when he asks. he is fine on the days i work and he doesn't nurse during the day, he drinks cow's milk and water and juice. and i've never been a big producer (i would only get 2-3 ounces per breast when i pumped) so i don't think at this point he is getting that much breastmilk. but some is better than none. and the time we have together is so special even if there was no benefit, i'd let him continue as long as he wants.

My daughter is 2 years old and still nursing. I quit pumping at work completely when she was about 13 months old. I started to gradually cut back when she was about 11 1/2 months. She was getting some formula at daycare too. I have continued to nurse and work all this time. She would simply have cow's milk and water along with her solids during the day and would nurse while at home. She now really only nurses once or twice a day--at night before bed and sometimes in the early morning (usually between 3:30 and 5:30). So, it is definitely possible to continue nursing for a long time after you quit pumping. Good luck!